A decision is looming for United soon over the future of Tahith Chong.
Chong has done well in pre-season without totally grabbing his chance.
His highlight was winning a penalty against Leeds, but he missed the friendly with Tottenham yesterday after picking up a knock against Inter.
Interest from German side Hamburg gives United an option to loan him out.
German outlet Rautenperle report Chong is one of two players wanted by Hamburg along with Arsenal’s Xavier Amaechi.
Chong’s impact against Leeds showed what he is capable of. We lack wingers, and loaning him out could backfire.
Where it could come into play, is whether the management feel Chong isn’t quite ready, or if we sign a new winger.
Chong has looked lightweight, and could benefit from a season of regular football in the Bundesliga 2 for the second tier side.
On the other hand we can offer Europa League football, and can still take a decision to loan him in January if he is not getting game time.
Whether we get Nicolas Pepe or not could influence our choice.
Still time to impress
Chong may have missed the Spurs match, but the injury is not considered serious.
We have two pre-season games left, against Kristiansund, and AC Milan.
He could have time to state his case further, although Alexis Sanchez’s return could affect his game time.
Breaking up United’s young talents is not ideal, but each player has to be considered on their merits.
We need to look at both what’s best for Chong, and our team, long-term. Hamburg are unlikely to be the only side showing interest before the transfer deadline.
- Manchester United should offer Sanchez for Ighalo and solve two problems
- Ramazani may have easier route to Manchester United first-team than Mejbri
- Both Odion Ighalo’s clubs will benefit if Manchester United loan is extended
- David Brooks would be a smart Sancho alternative for Manchester United this summer
- If Manchester United have ruled out permanent Ighalo move, they must focus on Dembele