Six years too late: Don't believe Manchester United links to Arturo Vidal
Wesley Sneijder retired last year, so it falls to Arturo Vidal to keep the Manchester United transfer rumour mill turning.
Six years too late, Vidal has been linked with a move to Manchester United, again.
The player United once needed
Back in 2014, Vidal was the player United were continuously linked with, and refused to buy.
The Guardian reported United’s stance as perplexing, with Louis van Gaal passing on Toni Kroos, Cesc Fabregas, and then deciding against a Vidal transfer. This was despite his availability at the right price.
Van Gaal had reported concerns over Vidal’s knee, which was ridiculous considering he signed off on a deal for Radamel Falcao weeks later.
The former Bayern and Juventus midfielder is now at Barcelona, where he has started only four La Liga games this season.
He could still do a job
The ridiculous part of this is that Vidal could probably still do a job for United. Especially considering our desperate need for midfield additions.
In four starts and 11 appearances from the bench in Spain, he has still scored six goals from midfield.
But at 32-years-old, it is very unlikely United would pursue him, when the clear goal is to get younger and develop players.
These rumours aren’t realistic and just bring a nostalgic look back at an opportunity missed six years ago.
Rumours linking Nicolas Gaitan to Old Trafford are undoubtedly only days away.
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'