The international break always throws up a rumour or two and this one has not disappointed.
A report from the Italian media claimed Cristiano Ronaldo is a big fan of Juventus winger Federico Chiesa and could push United to sign him.
Where have these claims come from?
The reports were run by Calciomercato, a dubious source which also claimed United were interested in Tanguy Ndombele last month.
The speculation was sparked by comments from agent Ivan Reggiani, who speculated United may be one of the English clubs prepared to pay £100 million for the winger.
But it’s just that, speculation. Reggiani is just an intermediary, and does not represent Chiesa.
What is Chiesa’s contract situation?
Federico Chiesa’s situation is a little complex. He is into the second year of a two-year loan from Fiorentina, with Juventus having an obligation to buy for £54 million, of which they have already paid £10m [BBC Sport].
It’s unclear from that point how long Chiesa will be tied down for, but Juventus will no doubt look to lock him into a long-term deal.
Any interested club would have to offer a substantial fee to convince Juventus to sell.
How good is Chiesa?
Chiesa had the best season of his career last season and it ended impressively.
He scored 15 goals and provided 11 assists last season for Juventus. This season he has two goals so far, including a winner over Chelsea.
Chiesa helped Italy to win Euro 2020, scoring in the semi-final against Spain.
An opinion piece from Juventus blog Black And White All Over late last season called for the club to move on from Ronaldo and build around Chiesa.
How have the pair combined?
Chiesa spent last season playing alongside Ronaldo at Juventus. Last season he provided four Serie A assists for the Portuguese star.
The young Italian said he was thrilled to get the chance to play with Ronaldo and even copied his celebration.
Chiesa told Sky Italia: “I copied his excitement. It’s very contagious. It’s fantastic to play with a champion of his caliber who made history.”
Where would he fit into United’s plans?
This is the really tough one to make work. Even if Ronaldo wants it to happen.
Chiesa, 23, is a winger who can play on both flanks and this is now a position where United are overloaded.
Jadon Sancho can be the man Ronaldo supposedly wants with Chiesa, while Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, Amad, and Anthony Elanga are all wide options who can complement the striker.
Chiesa would cost a considerable fee, and it would be negligent for United to splash out on another winger.
The next big spend will need to be in central midfield, and then possibly a younger striker to help Ronaldo and replace Cavani. There’s next to no chance of United paying big for Chiesa.
- Manager says Mourinho tried to sign international striker when he was Manchester United boss
- Manchester United caught napping by Prem club's 'game-changing' £33m midfielder deal
- Exclusive: Spanish football expert reacts to Martial deal, whether Sevilla can afford him permanently
- Uruguay manager and South American press react to Facundo Pellistri's debut performance
- Manchester United warned 'extraordinary offer' required to sign midfielder
- Karim Benzema sends message to Manchester United star
- Report: Young Manchester United forward set for medical ahead of imminent loan move
- Manager delighted to sign 'wonderful' Manchester United defensive talent on loan
- Talented Manchester United duo celebrate after making their full international debuts
- Ex Manchester United youngster Josh Harrop looks to relaunch his career at new club
- 10 goal contributions in 5 under-23 games: United have made great decision over wonderkid