Reported United target Jovic backed himself to succeed in England in 2019
Odion Ighalo’s below-par performance at Brighton last night highlighted once again that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could do with a new striker.
It’s not top of the list of priorities, but it means the reported pursuit of Real Madrid’s Luka Jovic makes sense.
It hasn’t quite worked at Madrid for Jovic – yet. But 27 goals across all competitions for Eintracht Frankfurt in 2018/19 indicate his potential.
At the end of that campaign, in May 2019, Jovic was quoted talking about his potential next move, before he joined Real.
As per German outlet Die Welt, Jovic backed himself to shine in the Premier League one day.
“From my experience in the Europa League, I would say that some other leagues in Europe are more suited to me and my way of playing football,” he said.
“In terms of the physique, the Bundesliga is very demanding, but after the games against Chelsea or Inter Milan, I personally had the feeling that I could feel even better [playing] in the Premier League or Serie A.
“The way the teams play there suits me better.”
United need to plan for Ighalo’s departure in January. Mason Greenwood may be able to move more centrally then, but that would become more difficult without signing a new right winger.
Jovic is younger and more prolific than Ighalo, and clearly believes he’s got what it takes to succeed in the Premier League.
He’s clearly not short on self-confidence and if United do land him, Solskjaer will hope Jovic is as well-suited to English football as he believes he is.
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder
- 'Every detail'… Erik ten Hag says he has a 'good feeling' about Manchester United
- 17-year-old wonderkid 'expected' to go on Manchester United pre-season tour
- Ten Hag's first Ajax XI star gives 7-word brutal truth on Dutchman's Manchester United chances
- Cristiano Ronaldo sets new Manchester United club record and sends message to fans