Report: Timothy Fosu-Mensah considering his Manchester United future
Timothy Fosu-Mensah is considering his Manchester United future, according to a report by Manchester Evening News.
They claim that the 22-year-old may leave the club in the January transfer window, with his contract running out at the end of the season.
The Telegraph reported in June that the Dutchman had opened talks with United over a new deal, but no agreement has been reached.
He has played just 95 minutes of football for United this season – starting the opening day loss against Crystal Palace before being introduced late on against Istanbul earlier this month.
Fosu-Mensah was brought in from the cold by Solskjaer towards the end of last season.
He played at left back – again versus Palace, with whom he has also spent time on loan – in a first United appearance since 2017.
In the summer, that looked to have been enough to convince United to try and tie him down.
But now Fosu-Mensah is among a host of players considering his options ahead of the winter window.
Sergio Romero, Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo are also named in the report which claims United are trying to focus on player sales when the window opens in January.
United have thus far proved inefficient in terms of trimming their bloated squad under Ed Woodward’s stewardship and it remains to be seen if anything will change in 2021.
Fosu-Mensah earned praise from former United man Clayton Blackmore during pre-season, who tipped him to give Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a selection ‘headache’ this term.
Now the concern may well be deciding between trying to get a fee for Fosu-Mensah in January, or keeping him on as his contract runs down.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace