Manchester United are hoping to grind Porto down over their valuation of Alex Telles.
The Guardian report United are not happy paying Porto’s £18.3 million asking price.
United instead want to pay just £12 million for the 27-year-old, who has only one year left on his contract.
Telles is reportedly keen on a move to United, and is said to be prepared to wait as negotiations drag on.
Pay the money?
United need to get this deal resolved quickly, so efforts can be concentrated elsewhere. Left-back is not the only area United need to strengthen.
If the club can get Porto to accept a fee of just £12 million, then that would obviously be great business, saving a third on Porto’s asking price.
But United need to show some urgency, and sometimes clubs have to pay a little extra to get deals done quickly and show some efficiency.
Supporters have been frustrated and drained of enthusiasm by United’s slow and laboured negotiations this summer, which has so far resulted in just one player being signed.
There is a fear that if United do not pay up, then another club will, and the team will lose out on an excellent player who would improve the first team.
Alex Telles: Buccaneering Brazilian
- Alex Telles is an attacking full-back with an impressive goal contribution.
In 95 games for Porto he has 30 assists and 20 goals. 14 of these strikes have been penalties.
- He has been an overlooked talent at international level
Telles has only one international cap, earned last year. As he has an Italian passport, he did not require a work permit.
- Telles has experience and he is a proven winner
For Porto, Telles has won two league titles and one Portuguese cup. He also won the Turkish Super Lig and two Turkish Cups playing for Galatasaray.
- Maguire and Lindelof share the same view on United’s draw with Chelsea
- Manchester United fans praise Victor Lindelof’s performance
- Solskjaer hails ‘different’ Cavani but mourns lack of fans at Manchester United games
- Manchester United fans react to Edinson Cavani’s debut performance
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw 0-0 with Chelsea
- Manchester United’s three best players in draw against Chelsea
- Charlie McNeill scores brace on competitive under-18s debut as Noam Emeran shines
- Joel Pereira’s latest loan spell is doing him no favours so far
- Manchester United’s three best players in U23 win over Everton