The most unlikely transfer of 2021 could see Kylian Mbappe move to Manchester United.
The Times report Mbappe has told Paris Saint-Germain he intends to quit the club in 2021 to further his career.
Real Madrid and Liverpool are both strongly linked, but there is another club on his radar.
The Times‘ report states: “According to a close friend, Mbappé’s interest in English football also extends to Manchester United.”
Now that’s interesting…
The numbers required to do a deal for Mbappe would likely be record breaking.
PSG would probably demand a fee close to £200 million, and his price tag will probably be further inflated by Euro 2021 next summer.
Let’s say United do not sign Jadon Sancho this summer, and do not have a marquee addition.
There will be extra pressure on the board to land a big name next summer, for commercial reasons, while the Sancho money could be carried forward.
It seems like a long shot, but if Mbappe is interested – United have to sit up and take notice, and try to get creative.
Mbappe knows Anthony Martial from his time at Monaco, and Paul Pogba from France’s World Cup win.
He played against United home and away with PSG in 2018/19, a tie in which United came out on top.
A deal would be, as we say, a long shot, but for now, let’s dream for a moment.
- It’s time for Jesse Lingard to move on, but £30m seems too good to be true
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United
- How Donny van de Beek can use Manchester United fan frustration as motivation
- Four reasons for Manchester United to be optimistic