The most unlikely transfer of 2021 could see Kylian Mbappe move to Manchester United.
The Times report Mbappe has told Paris Saint-Germain he intends to quit the club in 2021 to further his career.
Real Madrid and Liverpool are both strongly linked, but there is another club on his radar.
The Times‘ report states: “According to a close friend, Mbappé’s interest in English football also extends to Manchester United.”
Now that’s interesting…
The numbers required to do a deal for Mbappe would likely be record breaking.
PSG would probably demand a fee close to £200 million, and his price tag will probably be further inflated by Euro 2021 next summer.
Let’s say United do not sign Jadon Sancho this summer, and do not have a marquee addition.
There will be extra pressure on the board to land a big name next summer, for commercial reasons, while the Sancho money could be carried forward.
It seems like a long shot, but if Mbappe is interested – United have to sit up and take notice, and try to get creative.
Mbappe knows Anthony Martial from his time at Monaco, and Paul Pogba from France’s World Cup win.
He played against United home and away with PSG in 2018/19, a tie in which United came out on top.
A deal would be, as we say, a long shot, but for now, let’s dream for a moment.
- Raphael Varane will fly to Manchester to seal United move on Monday
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United