According to a report by German outlet Bild, Borussia Dortmund are considering a move for Memphis Depay this summer.
They report that Dortmund are making preliminary plans for the departure of Jadon Sancho this summer.
That includes getting a replacement lined up ahead of time, and former Red Depay – who now plays for Lyon – is in their sights.
It didn’t quite work out for the Dutchman at Old Trafford but he could play a part in his former employers landing their biggest summer target…
What does the report say?
According to Bild, Depay wants to leave Lyon this summer.
That’s because they finished seventh at the end of the curtailed Ligue 1 season, missing out on European football.
The report claims Depay has a market value of 44 million euros (£39.8 million).
That is far less than the 120 million euros (£108.6 million) Dortmund are currently demanding from United for Sancho.
Depay has recovered since United
Depay was one of the hottest prospects in European football when he signed for United under Louis van Gaal in 2015.
As per BBC, United landed him for an initial £25 million, before offloading him to Lyon in January 2017 for £16 million.
That same report says United negotiated a buy back clause into that transfer, but their sights seem firmly set on Sancho as opposed to exercising that option.
His career has recovered in France, and he had 14 goals from just 18 appearances in 2019/20, as per Transfermarkt.
Agreeing a move to Dortmund and freeing Sancho to come to Old Trafford would be as big a contribution as Depay made to United while he was wearing the red shirt.
- Three Manchester United stars named in Europa League Team of the Week
- Sevilla win means revenge mission is on for Solskjaer and United
- Paul Pogba’s defensive contribution against FC Copenhagen deserves praise
- One very expensive transfer pivot for Manchester United to consider
- Martial’s brilliance has reduced Ighalo to a mere back-up
- United link to Ousmane Dembele was entirely predictable
- Juan Mata may have secured his spot at Manchester United for next season
- What United would gain and lose by pursuing Coman as Sancho alternative
- Manchester United bound Hansen-Aaroen provides first senior assist