According to a report by German outlet Bild, Borussia Dortmund are considering a move for Memphis Depay this summer.
They report that Dortmund are making preliminary plans for the departure of Jadon Sancho this summer.
That includes getting a replacement lined up ahead of time, and former Red Depay – who now plays for Lyon – is in their sights.
It didn’t quite work out for the Dutchman at Old Trafford but he could play a part in his former employers landing their biggest summer target…
What does the report say?
According to Bild, Depay wants to leave Lyon this summer.
That’s because they finished seventh at the end of the curtailed Ligue 1 season, missing out on European football.
The report claims Depay has a market value of 44 million euros (£39.8 million).
That is far less than the 120 million euros (£108.6 million) Dortmund are currently demanding from United for Sancho.
Depay has recovered since United
Depay was one of the hottest prospects in European football when he signed for United under Louis van Gaal in 2015.
As per BBC, United landed him for an initial £25 million, before offloading him to Lyon in January 2017 for £16 million.
That same report says United negotiated a buy back clause into that transfer, but their sights seem firmly set on Sancho as opposed to exercising that option.
His career has recovered in France, and he had 14 goals from just 18 appearances in 2019/20, as per Transfermarkt.
Agreeing a move to Dortmund and freeing Sancho to come to Old Trafford would be as big a contribution as Depay made to United while he was wearing the red shirt.
- Juan Mata’s 90% shot-accuracy shows he could have Manchester United role during goal struggles
- Three things Solskjaer has got right and wrong this season
- How Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is faring since leaving Manchester United permanently
- Manchester United loanee James Garner has big point to prove this weekend
- Amad Diallo is the risk Solskjaer should be taking at Manchester United
- Diogo Dalot has perfect opportunity to impress against Manchester United
- Ed Woodward needs to back Solskjaer this summer to complete Manchester United’s squad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Manchester City
- Manchester United’s plan to rely on Mason Greenwood may need to be re-assessed