According to a report by German outlet Bild, Borussia Dortmund are considering a move for Memphis Depay this summer.
They report that Dortmund are making preliminary plans for the departure of Jadon Sancho this summer.
That includes getting a replacement lined up ahead of time, and former Red Depay – who now plays for Lyon – is in their sights.
It didn’t quite work out for the Dutchman at Old Trafford but he could play a part in his former employers landing their biggest summer target…
What does the report say?
According to Bild, Depay wants to leave Lyon this summer.
That’s because they finished seventh at the end of the curtailed Ligue 1 season, missing out on European football.
The report claims Depay has a market value of 44 million euros (£39.8 million).
That is far less than the 120 million euros (£108.6 million) Dortmund are currently demanding from United for Sancho.
Depay has recovered since United
Depay was one of the hottest prospects in European football when he signed for United under Louis van Gaal in 2015.
As per BBC, United landed him for an initial £25 million, before offloading him to Lyon in January 2017 for £16 million.
That same report says United negotiated a buy back clause into that transfer, but their sights seem firmly set on Sancho as opposed to exercising that option.
His career has recovered in France, and he had 14 goals from just 18 appearances in 2019/20, as per Transfermarkt.
Agreeing a move to Dortmund and freeing Sancho to come to Old Trafford would be as big a contribution as Depay made to United while he was wearing the red shirt.
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Luton Town
- Joe Hugill gets off to perfect start with brace for United’s under-18s side
- Report: Manchester United resigned to keeping injured Phil Jones
- Report: Alex Telles hoping to seal Manchester United move
- Key points from Evra’s Instagram video about the state of affairs at Manchester United
- Wilfried Zaha should have taught United a lesson over Dan James
- James Garner’s loan move to Watford is a bold choice
- Angel Gomes impresses in debut for Boavista after quitting United
- Paul Pogba’s performance puts his place in doubt v Brighton