Can someone please sign Matteo Darmian?
– For Sale: One Italian international, rarely used
– 29-years-old, just seven appearances last season
– Top professional, never complains, currently earns too much
Can someone please take Matteo Darmian off our hands? For his sake as much as United’s?
The club’s inability to shift Darmian this summer is one of the biggest failures, even if it is of little importance to the football side.
From a business perspective, its very poor.
Unlike Phil Jones or Chris Smalling, who have damaged reputations, Darmian is still regarded highly in his homeland and is consistently linked with top clubs.
Darmian should have been the easiest of United’s ‘deadwood’ to shift.
Its all rumour and no action. His agent is obviously trying. But you’d think from the lack of offers that he was William Prunier defensively.
In fairness to him, he’s not half as bad as he’s made out to be, is probably better than Ashley Young, but his time is up, he’s well down the pecking order, and its time to move on. It was time last summer.
Just yesterday a rumour emerged via Football Italia saying Inter Milan want to sign him on a free next summer when his contract expires.
So is Darmian really going to wait around at Old Trafford for a year, waiting for an injury crisis for the odd game. Surely not, what good does that do him?
Surely Inter, or another foreign side, can come up with just £2 – 3 million, heck, maybe even £5 million, and take him off our hands?
A loan deal would probably be acceptable at this point, and you have to figure that something will happen before the Italian deadline next week.
But we’ve been expecting that all summer, and in previous transfer windows too.
And up to now, Darmian just isn’t budging.
Maybe that will finally change over the next fortnight. Its for the best.
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag