Augsburg aim double dig at Dortmund over Jadon Sancho
While Manchester United got out of jail at Brighton with that later 3-2 win on Saturday, it wasn’t such a good day for reported target Jadon Sancho.
Sancho’s Borussia Dortmund were beaten 2-0 by Augsburg, with the England winger playing the full 90 minutes but unable to stop his side slipping to defeat.
After the loss which leaves Dortmund tenth in the Bundesliga, Augsburg’s official Twitter account aimed a cheeky dig at Sancho.
Making a cryptic reference to the wishes of United fans that Sancho is ‘freed’ to move to Old Trafford, the Bundesliga club posted a series of emojis alongside an image of Sancho battling for the ball.
We’ve seen a rise in the English language accounts of Bundesliga clubs engaging in online jokes with each other.
Usually, it’s between club accounts and it’s quite rare that a team is trolled over a player.
But Augsburg weren’t done there and today posted another tweet containing a pointed message about the speculation linking Sancho with United.
The use of ‘United’ in defence here seems unlikely to be a coincidence.
After United lost and Dortmund won on the first weekend of the season, the turnaround in fortunes on Saturday may – hopefully persuade Sancho that his future should lie at Old Trafford.
Ed Woodward now has a week to seal a satisfactory end to the transfer saga which has plagued United’s summer.
Until then, United fans are left to enjoy online jibes aimed in Dortmund’s direction, hoping for significant movement in the Sancho situation before the transfer window slams shut.
- Erik ten Hag reportedly contacts prolific 21 goal star over Manchester United move
- 'Negotiations are open': Manchester United in talks to sign £21m Spanish striker, 40 goals in two years
- Former Champions League and Premier League winner blasts Manchester United's lack of fight
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session
- Thomas Frank gives his verdict on Brentford fans booing Manchester United's Christian Eriksen