Dan James could be key for Manchester United this weekend.
The Wales international has been in and out of the starting line-up this season. Yet Sunday’s opponents will be hoping he does not return following his dazzling display in the reverse fixture.
Building up to that match in December, James had not featured for United in seven games.
Yet Ole Gunnar Solskjaer played a wild card in the form of the 23-year-old. And he was rewarded with one of James’s best performances in a United shirt.
The Red Devils ran out 6-2 winners, with James scoring once. His speed and counter-attacking ability caused Leeds problems all afternoon and he was one of the best players on the pitch.
So don’t be surprised if James is back for United this weekend.
The £18million man (BBC) is yet to fully realise his potential at United. But his ability comes in very handy against teams that leave plenty of space at the back.
The first match was a case of attack versus attack – hence the final score-line. And Solskjaer could well call on James once more.
Like last time, the Wales international has missed United’s recent league games.
Tricky choices to be made
United are on a great run of form and may not want to change a winning team. But Solskjaer is not averse to springing a surprise or two on occasions.
Mason Greenwood has been in outstanding form and could well play ahead of James once more.
But can Solskjaer really ignore his fastest player against a team that will struggle to cope with him?
The history of James and Sunday’s opponents cannot be understated, both on the field and off.
Time will tell if he gets another chance to impress. But United’s 6-2 win makes a return far more likely.
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?
- Goalkeepers who have scored for Manchester United
- Anthony Martial returns to first team training
- Three early questions for Manchester United ahead of Europa League final
- Three relegated players Manchester United could try to sign
- Three questions for Manchester United ahead of Fulham game
- Fred sends message after winning first Brazil call since 2018
- It is now clear how important Harry Maguire is for Manchester United
- Why Manchester United should keep James Garner close to home after claims of possible foreign loan