Why Mauricio Pochettino will be in Manchester this week
Mauricio Pochettino is being strongly linked to the Manchester United job.
BBC Sport report Pochettino is open to becoming United manager and it is possible he could take up the role right away, if offered.
To add to the intrigue, as it stands, Pochettino is due to be in Manchester this coming week.
Why is Pochettino in Manchester?
Pochettino is due to manage Paris Saint-Germain in their Champions League game against Manchester City at The Etihad.
City against PSG is a 8pm kick-off on Wednesday. Depending on PSG’s travel schedule, Pochettino could be in Manchester as soon as Tuesday.
Off the pitch this means speculation is going to increase further.
PSG may look to get ahead of this possible distraction by coming out to deny the rumours and show faith in Pochettino, and look for him to do the same.
A win for PSG in the game would secure qualification for the knockout phase with a game to go.
Pochettino has a history of winning Champions League ties at The Etihad, knocking City out of the competition in 2019.
If he gets one over on Pep Guardiola then he will become an even more attractive hire for United.
Could talks take place?
It is quite possible that United use Pochettino’s presence in Manchester to meet with him briefly before the fixture.
Sir Alex Ferguson has a good relationship with the Argentine and may even take a moment to meet the boss, discretely.
Of course, in this day and age, talks could take place wherever Pochettino is, over Zoom, but it is better for a multi-million hire like this that an actual face to face meeting occurs.
Most likely, Pochettino’s visit to Manchester will be smoke and mirrors, lots of speculation, before he returns to France with PSG.
But if he really is determined to move to United right away, this week’s schedule provides him the perfect opportunity to speed it along.
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal
- Mick Beale explains why QPR fans should be “really excited” about Manchester United loanee Ethan Laird