Why Manchester United's interest in Kamaldeen Sulemana seems serious
Manchester United continue to be linked with Ghanaian youngster Kamaldeen Sulemana.
The Mail reported United sent scout Tommy Nielsen to watch him in action for Danish side FC Nordjaelland, reporting negotiations have begun.
To understand how highly United rate Sulemana, Nielsen’s comments say a lot.
Nielsen told Danish newspaper Bold: “We have followed him for a very long time, and we consider him the greatest talent in Scandinavia. But I can not say anything about whether we will make a bid or not.”
United’s incentive to move quickly
The Mail report United are wary of Sulemana’s price tag increasing if he impresses in future World Cup qualifying matches for Ghana.
Ghana’s World Cup qualifying matches scheduled for June against South Africa has now been postponed until September, and replaced with friendly games against Morocco on June 8 and then Ivory Coast on June 12.
These are matches against strong, tougher opposition, and Sulemana’s profile could increase if he plays well, leading to added competition and a raised price tag.
That gives United extra incentive to tie a deal up over the next fortnight.
At just £10-15 million Sulemana would be a bargain, considering how highly Nielsen speaks of him.
Scandinavia a talent hotspot
After a lean period compared to the 90s, Scandinavia is re-emerging as a hotspot for developing talent. While Sulemana hails from Ghana, Nielsen’s comments compare him to the best players Scandinavia has to offer in the leagues across the region.
Last summer Nielsen scouted Jens Petter Hauge, who was signed by AC Milan, and he also previously scouted Erling Haaland.
United signed Norwegian wonderkid Isak Hansen Aaroen, and the young midfielder, 16, has enjoyed a strong season for the club’s under-18s and already featured for the under-23s.
It’s unclear whether Sulemana would go into United’s first team, or be sent out on loan for his development. But it seems there is little to risk from a low-cost deal, and this could be one United look to tie up quickly over the coming weeks.
Given the nature of Nielsen’s comments, United’s interest should be taken seriously.
Kamaldeen Sulemana: Player profile
- Kamaldeen Sulemana plays for Danish side FC Nordsjælland
He is under contract until 2025
- Sulemana has already been capped twice by Ghana’s national team
He made his international debut at the end of 2020
- The speedy attacker plays on the left wing
This season he has netted nine goals and provided six assists
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag
- De Gea and McTominay lead reaction as Manchester United goalkeeper celebrates reaching Wembley
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup