As we know by now, Manchester United’s transfer activity this summer is directly linked to Borussia Dortmund’s.
United want to sign Jadon Sancho from the German side, and their very poor end to the season, including a 4-0 home defeat to Hoffenheim on Saturday, has highlighted that their squad needs major work.
Now they are set to lose a key player, on loan right-back Achraf Hakimi, who is set to sign with Inter Milan for £36.3 million, report Sky Sports.
Hakimi has been outstanding for Dortmund this season, scoring nine goals and providing 10 assists. From right-back.
£36.3 million is a real bargain and Real Madrid could be making a mistake by selling the 21-year-old Moroccan so soon.
It looks like Inter have a bargain, and Dortmund’s inability to sign Hakimi on a permanent basis tells it’s own story.
There are two positive ways to read into this. One is that Dortmund are showing a lack of ambition to keep such an important player.
How will Sancho take this? Will this simply confirm that he needs to leave the German club to take the next step in his career?
The pair linked up really well down the right for Dortmund, helping Sancho to the best season of his career. This departure hurts him.
For Dortmund this failure to close the deal for Hakimi highlights a sad reality, that they need to sell in order to close big deals.
Dortmund wanted to re-sign Hakimi, but director Michel Zorc said that the fee was no longer within their reach.
He was quoted by Sky Germany via BeIN Sports: “The price is much higher now, and there is point where we have to say ‘we do not want this and we cannot do this’.”
Sancho is their prize asset, with BILD last week reporting that Dortmund would consider offers of £90 million.
If they can land a fee of £90 million or even higher for Sancho, it would enable them to sign the players they want in order to strengthen the team next season.
It may be too late for them to get Hakimi, but the £90 million would give them enough to sign a Sancho replacement, a new right-back, and then possibly one or two other players as well.
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after win
- Six things we learned as Manchester United beat Brighton 3-2
- Hannibal Mejbri shows quality in under-23 defeat
- Why Manchester United should consider bargain Todibo bid
- Quick deal for Alex Telles would provide ideal chance for United debut next week
- Comparing Manchester United’s reported Sancho plan with offer they wanted
- David de Gea says he is feeling the best he’s ever felt in his career
- Two Premier League managers believe United were the best team they faced last season