Why Alex Telles is a better option for Manchester United than Sergio Reguilon
After an alleged pursuit of Sergio Reguilon proved fruitless, Manchester United are looking towards Alex Telles.
Telles was, in our view, always the preferable option. We wrote in July how if United do buy a left-back, Telles should be the first choice.
Even taking away the goals he scores from penalties, Telles’ goalscoring contribution is one Sergio Reguilon or Luke Shaw or Brandon Williams cannot match up to.
Last season he provided 12 assists in all competitions for Porto, more than Reguilon (5), Shaw (3), and Williams (2) combined.
The Guardian reported this week that Telles is keen to sign for United and all that remains is for the Red Devils and Porto to agree a fee.
He fits better with United’s squad
Sergio Reguilon is a very good player, and Tottenham have done well to get him irrespective of the buy-back fee.
There is a case that at 23-years-old, Reguilon fits better with United’s recent philosophy of targeting younger players than Telles at 28.
However, United already have a developmental option in Brandon Williams, 20, who recently signed a long-term contract until 2024.
Luke Shaw is still only 25, while further behind him in the club’s academy, United this summer signed Logan Pye and Alvaro Fernandez Carreras, two talented young left-backs.
Telles gives United an instant lift and can play as the first choice right now, and probably for two years minimum. He is what United need to get better immediately.
He is the sort of talent Shaw and Williams can learn from first hand in regard to developing their attacking games, as can the youngsters in the academy if they are fortunate enough to get to train with him.
Let’s say in three years time, Telles steps aside. Shaw will be 28, and should be at his peak, while Williams will be 23, and ready to reach a new level himself.
Pye and Carreras will be 19 and 20 respectively and at least one of them could be pushing for first team football.
If Reguilon was signed, without a buy-back clause, then there would have been no long-term pathway for Brandon Williams, or any of the youngsters.
Fans have differing opinions on Williams, but he is a player who manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer likes a lot.
Telles suits United better, because it won’t mean casting aside long-term plans United have at the position, and he provides an immediate upgrade.
Then factor in that his creativity and goalscoring is superior to Reguilon any way, plus the fact he has the experience winning league titles in both Turkey and Portugal, Telles is the better option for United.
United just need to get this deal done, upgrade a key position, and then move forward and try and sign a winger before the deadline.
- Like Haaland: Van Dijk names 'quick' Manchester United striker target as one of his toughest opponents
- Manchester United keeping track of 'huge talent' Kouadio Kone
- Amazing unseen footage emerges of Manchester United's 1999 Treble win
- Prolific striker Ralf Rangnick wanted at Manchester United scores 6 goals in one game
- 'I know'… Club chief speaks out over 34-goal Manchester United target amid 'official offer' claims
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee hits the gym ahead of important summer
- 39-year-old Manchester United man announces retirement from professional football
- 5 Italian players that played for Manchester United amid links with £51m former Atalanta man
- 'I blame the Glazers': Neville says Manchester United should have axed figure years ago