Who is reportedly incoming United target Nathan Bishop?
Manchester United are reportedly closing in on a surprise new signing. Don’t get too excited, it’s a back-up goalkeeper. But it’s still an intriguing move.
The player concerned is Southend’s Nathan Bishop, with local paper The Echo reporting he is close to sealing a move to Old Trafford.
The move was also reported by BBC Sport, and Bishop was left out of Southend’s midweek game ahead of the move.
Southend manager Sol Campbell told The Echo that Bishop was having a medical at his new club.
Who is Nathan Bishop?
- Bishop is 20-years-old and has made 38 first team appearances for Southend, including 17 this season.
- He made his debut for the club in December 2017, just after he had turned 18.
- Bishop has one cap for England at under-20 level, and kept a clean sheet in a 4-0 win in the Toulon tournament.
- He had a trial with Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham Hotspur in 2017, The Echo journalist who broke the United story, reported at the time.
Why are United signing him?
With David de Gea, Sergio Romero and next season Dean Henderson all competing for first team spots, there is no easy path to first team action for Bishop any time soon.
The move suggests United have seen promising signs in Bishop, and this move could spell the end for Lee Grant, Joel Pereira and Kieran O’Hara.
Bishop would go straight into United’s under-23s, and might allow highly rated Matej Kovar to have a chance to go out on loan.
Kovar has been highly impressive this season and has shown he is ready to be tested at a new level.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m