A new name has been linked to Manchester United today, defender Pau Torres.
The Times journalist Paul Hirst told Norwegian channel TV2 in their Premier League preview that United have Torres among a list of transfer targets this summer.
So what can we tell you about the potential Red Devils addition? Here are five facts about the player…
1) Pau Torres is 23-years-old and plays as a centre-back for Villarreal. He came through the club’s academy, and spent the 2018/19 season on loan at Malaga, before returning this season to become a regular at ‘El Madrigal’.
2) His performances this season saw him called up into the Spanish national team for the first time, and he made his debut last November.
3) Data compiled by Spanish outlet La Razon shows Torres is La Liga’s fastest defender this season, clocking a top speed of 34.9km, putting him among the top 10 players in the division.
4) Torres has a 50 million Euro release clause in his contract (£44.7m), report Spanish newspaper SPORT, who claimed in March that Barcelona are showing interest.
5) Despite just the one full season at the club, Villarreal fans voted Pau Torres into the club’s greatest ever XI. For a club which has existed for 97 years, that is good going.
Could a move happen?
Interest in Torres is understandable after an excellent season in Spain, and there are several top clubs hovering.
The TV2 report even noted that City are also keen, while Arsenal have also been linked.
United’s need for a centre-back is debatable. Much depends on if Eric Bailly can stay injury free, and how quickly Axel Tuanzebe and Teden Mengi progress.
But at the same time United are expected to sell Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Chris Smalling this summer, creating squad space, and Torres is a big talent who would upgrade the current options.
His price is not unreasonable, but still perhaps what United may envision paying for a centre-back who may not be an automatic starter, considering our other expensive transfer objectives.
- Director plays down ‘speculation’ over Manchester United talks with £80m ace
- Cristiano Ronaldo ‘likes’ Manchester United star announcement
- Mason Mount best position: How he impacts Bruno Fernandes
- Early deal for £40m star is perfect way for Manchester United to approach striker dilemma
- The perfect player to solve Manchester United’s away record could be signed this summer
- Manchester United player coach hails ‘eye opening’ first season
- Manchester United target tells club he wants to go after Ten Hag talks
- Phil Jones shares FA Cup final plans after Manchester United release
- Manchester United Champions League pot for 2023/24, opponents, and teams we will avoid