Reports have emerged linking Manchester United with a move for Borussia Moenchengladbach forward Alassane Plea.
German newspaper Express claim Plea is among a group of strikers being considered by United this summer.
Here is a rundown of what you need to know about Alassane Plea…
- Plea is 27-years-old and signed for ‘Gladbach in 2018 from Nice. He scored 12 times last season and has eight goals in 20 starts this season. At Nice he netted 21 goals in 2017/18 to earn a move to the Bundesliga.
- Plea has been capped by France once, in a friendly win over Uruguay in 2018.
- He is a striker but he can also play out wide. Transfermarkt note he has made 133 career appearances as striker, 36 from the left wing and 35 from the right wing. This helps with the creative side of his game; he has seven assists so far this season, and the defensive side too.
- Plea told Bundesliga.com: “I often played on the left wing and that’s no problem for me – it’s about being a modern forward. I love giving everything for the team and also having to do the dirty work.”
- He almost moved to the Premier League before. Footmercato reported Mauricio Pochettino tried to sign him for Tottenham in 2018. BILD reported last month that Barcelona are also keen.
- Plea pledges part of his salary to Common Goal, a charity initiative set up by Juan Mata.
What they say about him
‘Gladbach manager Marco Rose told Bundesliga.com: “I’ve never seen such a degree of quality so often. If he gets a shot off in or around the penalty area, you can almost get ready to celebrate.”
This goal Plea scored against Mainz this season was pretty unique. He managed to volley the ball into the net with his standing foot.
Where would he fit at United?
If United are looking for an indisputed first choice striker who could hit 30 goals a season, that’s not Alassane Plea.
But if the criteria is to sign a younger, more versatile alternative to Odion Ighalo, then Plea is a good fit as a squad player, who will help rather than hinder Mason Greenwood’s development long term.
United do need another striker, but funds may be more limited if the majority of money is spent on Jadon Sancho.
Plea’s ability to play out wide on the right or left makes him a versatile option, and certainly gives us more cover in the event of another Marcus Rashford injury.
At the right price, if ‘Gladbach need to cash in, he could be a good addition to the squad. Around £30 million may be a fair fee, which would give his club a £10 million profit on the fee they paid two years ago.
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win