Victor Lindelöf began to really emerge as a leader for Manchester United last season.
Now his latest comments have set an example to talented but divisive midfielder Paul Pogba.
Lindelöf was linked with Barcelona earlier this month. His agent publicly stated the La Liga side were interested, via The Mirror.
The Swede is obviously the last defender we could afford to leave. Signed for £31 million two years ago, the centre-back is key to our rebuild.
So it was excellent to see him come out yesterday and shut down speculation.
Lindelof was quoted by the MEN: “I’m very very happy to be a Manchester United player and I’m really looking forward to this season.
“I’m very excited for a new season to start so yeah, that’s my answer, I’m very happy here.”
Instantly he killed off speculation and ends any doubt that he would want to leave. Not that United would sell him in any case.
It’s important because it sends a message. This is how a Manchester United should act.
Forget his agents’ interests, Lindelöf is putting the club first.
If Paul Pogba was really deserving of the United captaincy, he would come out with a statement like this.
For some fans it’s too far gone to forgive Pogba for agitating for a move. But he could earn a lot of plaudits by finally pledging his future to the club.
Paul, it’s never too late to try and make up.
As for Lindelöf, that’s captaincy material right there.
- Ethan Galbraith must impress on loan to jump ahead of Levitt and Garner at Manchester United
- Teden Mengi deserves to replace Phil Jones in Manchester United squad
- Manchester United would be absolutely fine without Pogba
- Manchester United’s Dylan Levitt must channel his idol Scholes during likely loan spell
- Manchester United fans should not get too excited following Dortmund’s transfer update