Victor Lindelöf passing Burnley test was a positive sign
Victor Lindelöf was a colossus at times last season for Manchester United. That’s why his performances on occasions this year have been so disappointing.
The Maguire and Lindelöf connection has not clicked as we hoped, but there have been positive signs in December for the Swede.
His displays against Tottenham and Manchester City were encouraging, and his performance against Burnley might have been the best of the bunch.
Burnley played into their physical strengths, which has been seen as a weakness of Lindelöf’s at times this season.
Lindelöf handled everything Burnley threw at him and helped United keep a rare clean sheet.
Lindelöf may only have been in the side due to an injury suffered to Axel Tuanzebe against Colchester.
The Burnley game would have been ideal to put Tuanzebe in against the Clarets’ bullish approach.
Lindelöf stood up to it, making a team high seven clearances from the back.
He was a class act and looked like the player we saw lead United’s defence last season.
The Swede has proved his point. If teams try to target him, he can stand up to it.
Tuanzebe and a returning Eric Bailly will keep up the pressure on the £31 million man, but for the time being, he is United’s first choice partner for Harry Maguire.
- 3 radical decisions Erik ten Hag should consider to get Manchester United back on track
- Manchester United look to accelerate 24-year-old's departure to reunite Ten Hag with 17-time international
- Manchester United wonderkid set to become 7th Reds youngster to join Championship side on loan in PL era
- Guillem Balague says Cristiano Ronaldo departure from Manchester United being worked on
- Manchester United prepared to wait until deadline day to sell 28-year-old on permanent deal