Victor Lindelöf was a colossus at times last season for Manchester United. That’s why his performances on occasions this year have been so disappointing.
The Maguire and Lindelöf connection has not clicked as we hoped, but there have been positive signs in December for the Swede.
His displays against Tottenham and Manchester City were encouraging, and his performance against Burnley might have been the best of the bunch.
Burnley played into their physical strengths, which has been seen as a weakness of Lindelöf’s at times this season.
Lindelöf handled everything Burnley threw at him and helped United keep a rare clean sheet.
Lindelöf may only have been in the side due to an injury suffered to Axel Tuanzebe against Colchester.
The Burnley game would have been ideal to put Tuanzebe in against the Clarets’ bullish approach.
Lindelöf stood up to it, making a team high seven clearances from the back.
He was a class act and looked like the player we saw lead United’s defence last season.
The Swede has proved his point. If teams try to target him, he can stand up to it.
Tuanzebe and a returning Eric Bailly will keep up the pressure on the £31 million man, but for the time being, he is United’s first choice partner for Harry Maguire.
- Report: Ralf Rangnick recommends Manchester United sign star who is 'streets ahead of Maguire'
- Manchester United star at risk of missing clash with former side following injury setback
- 5 things which have changed since Manchester United were top of the league one year ago today
- Manchester United's most exciting attacking player must make key change to his game
- Report: Europa League club linked with January swoop for yet another Manchester United player