Victor Lindelof had a tough night on international duty for Sweden against France.
Lindelof battled a back injury before the break, missing United’s game against Istanbul Basaksehir.
He returned for the 3-1 win against Everton and so was picked in Sweden’s squad.
On Tuesday night for France against Sweden, Lindelof was substituted after 66 minutes, appearing to be in back pain.
Fotboll Skanalen reported that Lindelof required treatment on his back in daily training sessions ahead of the fixture.
The report added: “He has had back problems and has shown it during the second half.”
Lindelof had a tough game in Sweden’s 4-2 defeat, with the score 3-1 when he was substituted.
He had won only one aerial duel, while Olivier Giroud had won four.
Lindelof had played all 90 minutes of Sweden’s game against Croatia three days earlier.
He did not look at 100 per cent before he was substituted last night. He pushed himself to play, and he did not cope too well.
He will need to be assessed by United ahead of the weekend match at home to West Brom on Saturday night.
United have Axel Tuanzebe available to partner Harry Maguire if Lindelof is not ready, with Eric Bailly still out.
In addition to the West Brom game, United also have to plan for the Champions League match at home to Istanbul Basaksehir days later.
Anthony Martial will also have to be assessed
Anthony Martial was an unused substitute in France’s win over Sweden.
He had started the previous game against Portugal and his performance was praised by Didier Deschamps [via The Times] despite his failure to score.
The Mail reported he trained alone for France in the lead up to the Sweden game as he was suffering with a back injury.
The fact he did not play a single minute shows his fitness was enough of a concern not to risk him.
This could present a conundrum up front for United, with Marcus Rashford battling a shoulder injury which kept him out of the England squad.
Mason Greenwood did return to training this week and should feature, while Edinson Cavani will also be in contention if he arrives back in England healthy.
Paul Pogba came through 90 minutes for France, creating one chance in the win.
Bruno Fernandes played 45 minutes for Portugal in their 3-2 win over Croatia. His substitution did not appear to be injury related.
- Marcus Rashford sets Manchester United club record
- Donny van de Beek’s success provides an interesting dilemma for United
- Triple move for Telles, Cavani and Van de Beek looks great business
- Marcos Rojo leads tributes to Diego Maradona after Argentine legend dies aged 60
- Marcus Rashford responds to message about Jadon Sancho
- Paul Pogba sends message to Manchester United teammates after win
- Tyson Fury says Marcus Rashford deserves a knighthood
- Manchester United display first of its kind in over 13 years, it’s an important step forward
- Alex Telles sends message to Manchester United fans after ‘wonderful night’