Manchester United needed a little favour from Aston Villa to avoid Sheffield United leapfrogging us in the table.
With the assistance of a 9,000/1 Hawkeye error, Villa held on to claim a 0-0 draw.
They gave it a good go themselves, and our loanee Dean Henderson needed to make six saves to earn his clean sheet.
At the heart of Villa’s play was Jack Grealish, who had to work twice as hard to try and effect the game as Sheffield United doubled up on him at any opportunity.
That is why the impact and ball retention he provided really impressed, and he stood out as a beacon of quality for an average side.
Out on the left
Grealish started for Villa on the left wing in a 4-3-3 formation as he has done for most of the campaign.
He managed to create three goalscoring chances, the second highest numbers of any player on the pitch.
Notably Grealish also completed 97 per cent of his passes, the highest of any starter at Villa Park, while also completing eight out of nine attempted long balls.
He did not manage to add to his seven league goals and six assists he has this season, but he stood out, and it made you wonder what he could do in a much better team, rather than relegation battlers.
Reports this week, via The Mail, insist Villa want a fee of £80 million for the star, and this is a steep fee, more than United will prefer to pay.
Relegation for Villa could force their hand, and their draw keeps them down in 19th place in the Premier League.
Grealish has the ability to help them turn this around, but their lack of a quality striker will make it difficult.
His performance last night, his first in three months, was another reminder of what he can bring to Old Trafford, if a compromise can be found on price.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Marcus Rashford ahead of quarter-final
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long