Leon Bailey showed what he was capable of for Leverkusen last night in a 3-1 win over Cologne.
The Mail reported this week that United are considering a £40 million move for Bailey this summer.
Bailey provided two assists, while Kai Havertz scored one himself and created another.
This was Bailey’s first match back after missing the previous two for the birth of his child.
Bailey played 63 minutes before being replaced as part of a double change.
His first assist came from a corner, where his delivery to the near post was flicked in smartly by defensive midfielder Sven Bender.
The second came when he ran onto a through ball on the left, and then he squared it back first time for an unmarked Havertz to score.
It was a performance where Bailey was not at his best, but he still managed to make a decisive impact on the game.
The 22-year-old has had a disrupted season with injuries, but he has still managed to score six goals.
He is a work in progress, and more of an alternative to Jack Grealish than Jadon Sancho, as a left sided player.
The advantage with the Villa star is that he can also play centrally, while Bailey could play on the right side and has done previously, he just hasn’t done so for Leverkusen this season.
Unhappy night for Sancho
Elsewhere in the Bundesliga it was an unhappy night for reported top target Jadon Sancho, who saw his Borussia Dortmund side lose 2-0 at home to Mainz.
He tried to make things happen, creating three chances, but striker Erling Haaland only touched the ball 19 times in 90 minutes on a miserable night for the club, 24 hours after seeing rivals Bayern win the title.
Sancho is reported by The Telegraph to be United’s top target, and he has 20 goals and 18 assists this season.
But last night showed he is not a miracle worker and he has now gone three goals without any goals or assists since his hat-trick against Paderborn.
If we do sign him, United fans will have to be patient, as he will not win us every game single handedly.
Perhaps his frustrations at Dortmund currently will intensify his desire to move on this summer.
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long
- Manchester United may have played a masterstroke over Chris Smalling