United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
Di’Shon Bernard joined Hull City on loan from Manchester United yesterday.
He has already made his debut for the Championship club in a pre-season friendly.
As luck would have it, the match was against United’s own Under 23 side.
The likes of Joe Hugill and Charlie Savage both started for United’s young side. New signing Paul McShane also started, against his former club.
The game turned out as well as Bernard could have hoped. He played the full 90 minutes as Hull kept a clean sheet and won 2-0.
United goalkeeper Dermot Mee was sent off with nine minutes remaining, but the hosts were already two goals up at that stage.
A match against a Championship side just a week away from the start of their season was a big test for United’s young side.
Some of the best academy products are with the first team squad in pre-season, while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer awaits the return of his remaining senior starts after Euro 2020.
It won’t be often that a player leaves a club and plays against them the next day.
It’s even more unlikely that they’ll sign a new contract with them one day and beat them 2-0 the next.
That’s what Bernard has done, and the performance should stand him in good stead to be in contention when Hull kick their season proper off next weekend.
They travel to Preston on Saturday. United were of course due to play at Deepdale today, before the match was called off due to a spate of positive Covid tests.
- Like Haaland: Van Dijk names 'quick' Manchester United striker target as one of his toughest opponents
- Manchester United keeping track of 'huge talent' Kouadio Kone
- Amazing unseen footage emerges of Manchester United's 1999 Treble win
- Prolific striker Ralf Rangnick wanted at Manchester United scores 6 goals in one game
- 'I know'… Club chief speaks out over 34-goal Manchester United target amid 'official offer' claims