It has taken two-and-a-half years, but Alexis Sanchez has finally produced a masterful performance while under contract to Manchester United.
The kicker is, of course, that he has done it while on loan to Inter Milan.
Last night Sanchez had the best game of his Inter career for certain, as he inspired the Nerazzuri to a 6-0 win against relegation bound Brescia.
Sanchez came out on a mission, and set up a goal in the fifth minute for former United teammate Ashley Young, who scored his second goal for the club.
15 minutes later Sanchez doubled Inter’s lead, scoring from the penalty spot. This was his second goal of the season too, his first since September.
He set up another goal in the second half, playing in Roberto Gagliardini for Inter’s fourth.
This was a reminder of what Sanchez is capable of, and that he still has a performance like this in his locker. He created six goalscoring chances in the win. The highest any of his teammates managed was two.
To Sanchez’s credit, he has been impressive since Serie A’s restart. He now has three assists in three games, two of which were starts.
Manager Antonio Conte told TMW after the game: “Now Sanchez starts to feel good. He is still not the Sanchez that I liked in England, but he is well on his way. Today there was a lot of effort on his part, he played an excellent game.”
Reinforces United’s decision
We wrote last night in praise of Manchester United’s decision to extend Sanchez’s loan deal, but not to cover the Europa League, which takes place after the Serie A season concludes.
United announced this on the club website yesterday afternoon.
With Sanchez finding a bit of form, the last thing United would want is to see the Chilean produce a rare performance like this against us. We saw with his FA Cup goal against Arsenal last season that he can get up for a game against his former club.
Hopefully this kind of performance will help United to find a long awaited buyer for the 31-year-old this summer.
- A Phil Jones sale this summer would be a mini-miracle for United
- Six Manchester United selection dilemmas for FC Copenhagen quarter-final
- Sancho’s reported desire to sign for United makes deal even more important to conclude
- Solskjaer says Paul Pogba has been doing extra training at United
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Marcus Rashford ahead of quarter-final
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club