United loanee Alexis Sanchez produces supershow in Inter thrashing
It has taken two-and-a-half years, but Alexis Sanchez has finally produced a masterful performance while under contract to Manchester United.
The kicker is, of course, that he has done it while on loan to Inter Milan.
Last night Sanchez had the best game of his Inter career for certain, as he inspired the Nerazzuri to a 6-0 win against relegation bound Brescia.
Sanchez came out on a mission, and set up a goal in the fifth minute for former United teammate Ashley Young, who scored his second goal for the club.
15 minutes later Sanchez doubled Inter’s lead, scoring from the penalty spot. This was his second goal of the season too, his first since September.
He set up another goal in the second half, playing in Roberto Gagliardini for Inter’s fourth.
This was a reminder of what Sanchez is capable of, and that he still has a performance like this in his locker. He created six goalscoring chances in the win. The highest any of his teammates managed was two.
To Sanchez’s credit, he has been impressive since Serie A’s restart. He now has three assists in three games, two of which were starts.
Manager Antonio Conte told TMW after the game: “Now Sanchez starts to feel good. He is still not the Sanchez that I liked in England, but he is well on his way. Today there was a lot of effort on his part, he played an excellent game.”
Reinforces United’s decision
We wrote last night in praise of Manchester United’s decision to extend Sanchez’s loan deal, but not to cover the Europa League, which takes place after the Serie A season concludes.
United announced this on the club website yesterday afternoon.
With Sanchez finding a bit of form, the last thing United would want is to see the Chilean produce a rare performance like this against us. We saw with his FA Cup goal against Arsenal last season that he can get up for a game against his former club.
Hopefully this kind of performance will help United to find a long awaited buyer for the 31-year-old this summer.
- 'They need to play': Rangnick says two Manchester United players could leave on loan after ten Hag arrives
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag
- De Gea and McTominay lead reaction as Manchester United goalkeeper celebrates reaching Wembley
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled