We had expected Axel Tuanzebe to start against Real Sociedad, so it was a surprise to see him on the bench.
Then when he came on at half-time, it had been expected that one of the centre-backs would go off.
Instead he replaced Fred, who had picked up a yellow card, and was taken off to avoid suspension.
So Tuanzebe lined up in a midfield role alongside Nemanja Matic, which was unexpected, although not completely from left-field.
Amid a midfield injury crisis, we had tipped playing a centre-back, Tuanzebe or Lindelof, out of position as one possible solution if Solskjaer was reluctant to use Ethan Galbraith – who played 90 minutes on Monday night for the under-23s.
So how did Tuanzebe get on in midfield?
The best aspect of his 45 minute performance was that he looked comfortable.
Nemanja Matic had a good game, which made it easier for him, as did the lack of intensity from Sociedad as the Spanish side seemed to give up as the second half went on.
Tuanzebe scored too, netting an impressive header from Alex Telles’ corner, before it was ruled out, thanks to a dangerous challenge from Victor Lindelof.
The defender told BT Sport after the game it was not a position he had worked on in advance of the game. He said: “It was a different challenge, it’s been a while since I played there.”
Tuanzebe completed 92 per cent of his passes, won two tackles, and even created one chance.
As players return from injury, a chance like this in midfield probably won’t come again for him, but after playing so infrequently this season, it is good for him just to get on the pitch.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Tuanzebe’s midfield performance…
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures
- Should Solskjaer start Jesse Lingard against Aston Villa and how would he fit in?
- Three players linked with Manchester United transfer moves this week
- Two Manchester United players have turned Cristiano Ronaldo deal from luxury to necessity