United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe's performance in midfield
We had expected Axel Tuanzebe to start against Real Sociedad, so it was a surprise to see him on the bench.
Then when he came on at half-time, it had been expected that one of the centre-backs would go off.
Instead he replaced Fred, who had picked up a yellow card, and was taken off to avoid suspension.
So Tuanzebe lined up in a midfield role alongside Nemanja Matic, which was unexpected, although not completely from left-field.
Amid a midfield injury crisis, we had tipped playing a centre-back, Tuanzebe or Lindelof, out of position as one possible solution if Solskjaer was reluctant to use Ethan Galbraith – who played 90 minutes on Monday night for the under-23s.
So how did Tuanzebe get on in midfield?
The best aspect of his 45 minute performance was that he looked comfortable.
Nemanja Matic had a good game, which made it easier for him, as did the lack of intensity from Sociedad as the Spanish side seemed to give up as the second half went on.
Tuanzebe scored too, netting an impressive header from Alex Telles’ corner, before it was ruled out, thanks to a dangerous challenge from Victor Lindelof.
The defender told BT Sport after the game it was not a position he had worked on in advance of the game. He said: “It was a different challenge, it’s been a while since I played there.”
Tuanzebe completed 92 per cent of his passes, won two tackles, and even created one chance.
As players return from injury, a chance like this in midfield probably won’t come again for him, but after playing so infrequently this season, it is good for him just to get on the pitch.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Tuanzebe’s midfield performance…
- Report suggests Manchester United could sign midfield star who's 'better than Pogba' for £42 million
- 21-year-old Manchester United ace set for season-long loan to Championship side after initial move collapses
- Marcus Rashford sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat, it's a new approach
- Incoming signing's relationship with star duo could help strengthen Manchester United spine
- Club begin talks to sign replacement for £20m Manchester United strike target
- £7m star now finally has chance for Manchester United breakthrough
- Erik ten Hag frustrated and ready to give up over Manchester United's top transfer target
- Report: Manchester United considered bid for £30m+ Brazilian DM at Premier League club
- Report: Manchester United agree add-ons to take transfer fee to £19m
- 'Horrific'… Gary Neville issues transfer warning as Manchester United risk losing target to rivals
- A fake overhaul: Murtough and Arnold are part of Manchester United's problem
- £20m, £25m and £33.7m oversights could haunt Manchester United like £4.5m star
- Report: Ten Hag turned down chance to sign Dutch Champions League winner
- Manchester United technical director scouts target and he produces wondergoal