Axel Tuanzebe was a surprise starter at right-back amid a defensive reshuffle at Goodison Park.
Oddly enough, Tuanzebe played at left-back at Goodison as a substitute in the league win, and Solskjaer was not afraid to put him in up against Richarlison.
Tuanzebe needs all the game time he can get, and proved a point in the process.
He played well and did not give Richarlison a chance, before Eric Bailly injured him in the second half.
Tuanzebe got forward well too. He created two chances, showing his ability to contributed at both ends.
Filled in impressively
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is United’s normal starter at right-back, and he has looked a little jaded lately.
Brandon Williams was ill and not included in the squad and his loss was Tuanzebe’s gain.
Indeed amid speculation linking Williams with a loan move (via The Telegraph), Tuanzebe’s ability to play at full-back is extra reason to allow the youngster to go out on loan.
Tuanzebe has missed so much football due to injuries he will be glad to be contributing.
He won three tackles in the 2-0 victory over Everton and two aerial duels.
This was an adept performance against a top team, and his performance was a real positive in a very competitive game.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to his performance…
- It should come as no surprise Lazio aren’t keen on £23.3m Pereira option
- Marcos Rojo is still out injured after leaving United
- Solskjaer explains why he didn’t bring Amad Diallo on against Palace
- Gary Neville criticises Marcus Rashford’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Dean Henderson’s performance
- Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly send messages to Manchester United fans
- United fans puzzled by Cavani for James substitution
- Anthony Martial faces fitness battle for Manchester derby
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw with Crystal Palace