Axel Tuanzebe was a surprise starter at right-back amid a defensive reshuffle at Goodison Park.
Oddly enough, Tuanzebe played at left-back at Goodison as a substitute in the league win, and Solskjaer was not afraid to put him in up against Richarlison.
Tuanzebe needs all the game time he can get, and proved a point in the process.
He played well and did not give Richarlison a chance, before Eric Bailly injured him in the second half.
Tuanzebe got forward well too. He created two chances, showing his ability to contributed at both ends.
Filled in impressively
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is United’s normal starter at right-back, and he has looked a little jaded lately.
Brandon Williams was ill and not included in the squad and his loss was Tuanzebe’s gain.
Indeed amid speculation linking Williams with a loan move (via The Telegraph), Tuanzebe’s ability to play at full-back is extra reason to allow the youngster to go out on loan.
Tuanzebe has missed so much football due to injuries he will be glad to be contributing.
He won three tackles in the 2-0 victory over Everton and two aerial duels.
This was an adept performance against a top team, and his performance was a real positive in a very competitive game.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to his performance…
- 'We knew': West Ham defender gives his verdict on Manchester United after last-gasp defeat
- 'Treading carefully': Manchester United loanee won't return until next month
- 'It doesn't matter how or who': Manchester United star sends passionate message to fans
- Rio Ferdinand mocks his brother after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'He can go to the top': Manager tips 'unbelievable' Manchester United loanee to achieve big things
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Anthony Martial respond to teammate's 'Fergie time' message
- 'Amazing feeling'… Manchester United attacker says it was a dream to hear fans singing his name
- Manchester United star sets all-time Premier League record in Red Devils win
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance