Just yesterday we asked whether summer signing Amad Diallo might get one last game for Atalanta before he joins United. We did not expect him to make his season debut quite so soon.
Diallo came off the bench with Atalanta 1-0 down at home to Verona. He played 13 minutes, with his side losing 2-0.
These were the first minutes Diallo has had all season. It was only his fourth total Serie A appearance.
Diallo showed a few nice touches. He was confident in possession, making one quick cross-field pass right to a teammates’ feet.
Verona did not give him much opportunity to run at them, bringing him down a couple of times. Diallo ended up getting booked.
Even with just 16 touches, Diallo managed to create one goalscoring opportunity.
The 18-year-ol winger is a special talent, which is why United were determined to wrap up his signature before the transfer deadline.
A work permit has delayed a move, which should be completed on January 1.
Diallo’s appearance last night was a bit surprising. He was not even on the bench for the team’s away win against Liverpool in the Champions League this week.
It was speculated that Atalanta may have been deliberately not using him to avoid any risk of injury ahead of his big move.
For this reason it would be nice if Diallo’s appearances in this upcoming few weeks were kept to a minimum.
Expectations among United fans are high, yet realistic. Most supporters would agree that Diallo probably won’t play a big role this season, if any.
It may even be a couple of seasons before he is a first team regular – anything extra would be a bonus.
Yet there is real excitement about Diallo, even more so than Facundo Pellistri.
Diallo has a combination of pace, trickery and directness to his game which United lack on the right wing at present, and have done for a while.
If he can develop into an elite talent then the fee United have paid will look like a bargain.
Let’s just hope Atalanta can try and keep him under wraps now until January.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to seeing Diallo in action…
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success
- Fred’s late battling shows why he is so important to United
- Mark Lawrenson is expecting Manchester United to beat Liverpool
- Amad Diallo’s Manchester United debut is looking more and more likely
- Three Portugal based players Manchester United should be monitoring
- Manchester United said to be keen on Bayern youngster Jamal Musiala