Harry Maguire is too often underrated, taken for granted, and unfairly criticised.
Sometimes only when he is not in the team, do you quite appreciate the qualities he brings.
This was the case for England on Sunday night when taking on Belgium, with a back three of Tyrone Mings, Eric Dier and Kyle Walker.
Maguire was missing from the game due to suspension after his red card against Denmark. That wasn’t his finest hour.
But England certainly seemed to struggle without Maguire against Belgium, going 2-0 down within 23 minutes.
Maguire had previously performed well for England in a draw last month, with supporters praising his performance.
This time he was conspicuous by his absence. United supporters were quick to point this out.
United felt Maguire’s absence last season when he missed a rare game in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final.
Phil Jones filled in and United lost 3-1 to Manchester City on the night.
Maguire has had so much attention in recent weeks for various reasons, with a spotlight on his own form.
There has not been enough credit for the way he has improved over the pas month and set it right.
He scored for England in the win over Ireland last week and played a commanding role in helping to keep a clean sheet.
There’s no harm in a little extra rest for the centre-back, and it won’t be long before he is starting for United at Old Trafford next weekend at home to West Brom.
- Anthony Martial faces fitness battle for Manchester derby
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw with Crystal Palace
- Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace
- It’s getting harder to see Manchester United keeping Juan Mata
- Report: Erling Haaland will consider United but not Chelsea
- Luke Shaw has been ‘unbelievable recently’ says Dan James
- Some United fans react as Solskjaer predicts a quiet summer transfer window
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi’s first loan start at centre-back for Derby proves to be a tough one
- Manchester United fans react to Raphael Varane reports