With two-thirds of the season gone, it is approaching decision time for Manchester United regarding the future of a number of young players.
The MEN report there are seven academy players who are awaiting clarity over their futures. United are yet to decide whether to offer them new deals.
These players are Arnau Puigmal, Ondrej Mastny, Harvey Neville, Max Taylor, Charlie McCann, Reece Devine and Connor Stanley.
Who should get new deals?
Puigmal is the standout name on the list who deserves a new contract. United are leaving it dangerously late.
He has seven goals and three assists for the under-23s this season. Sport reported earlier this season Barcelona were interested.
Harvey Neville has made impressive strides for the under-23s over the last fortnight. He has a goal and assist in his last two games. There’s a good chance he gets a new deal.
Charlie McCann has also featured regularly and could well be handed an extended deal.
Max Taylor is likely to be released, however. He is on loan at Kidderminster at present.
Reece Devine, Ondrej Mastny and Connor Stanley have bigger question marks hanging over them. They each need to end the season strongly.
Three expected to be released
Goalkeepers Sergio Romero and Joel Pereira will be released this summer, The MEN state.
Romero is fifth choice at present while Pereira is on the bench on loan at Huddersfield.
Paul Woolston is the third goalkeeper expected to go. He has featured for the under-23s this season but at 22-years-old, he is behind the curve when it comes to earning first team football and will be allowed to move on.
These are sensible decisions, United have an excess of goalkeepers, and there is a call to be made over Lee Grant too, who could stay on but just as a coach.
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance