Axel Tuanzebe’s injury is a big disappointment for the young centre-back, who was finally hoping to make his first start of 2020 over the coming weeks.
That could still be possible. We don’t know the severity of the injury blow, and he could be back next week.
But Tuanzebe’s previous injuries have seen him miss weeks, and months, with his last Premier League start coming back in October.
United’s big squad means that for every disappointment, there is an opportunity for another player, and the winner in this regard is Teden Mengi.
Mengi, 18, has been training with the first team over the past fortnight and has shot up the ranks quickly after making his under-23 debut earlier this season.
United’s under-18s captain is a bright talent and Tuanzebe’s injury enhances the prospects of him making his debut later this season.
A busy fixture list means United play four games in the next 12 days, and this will test the squad. Already Tuanzebe, and Phil Jones, have broken down before a ball has been kicked.
It is likely Mengi will be needed, while youngster Di’Shon Bernard could also be called upon in the case of further injuries.
United fans have confidence in Mengi after watching his academy displays this season. Here is a look at some of the discussion around his newly boosted prospects…
Tuanzebe injury worries
One of the big problems which held Phil Jones back in his United career was injuries.
Eric Bailly has been an even more extreme example of a player with elite talent, who has been reduced to an afterthought at times due to his fitness struggles.
United fans are big believers in Tuanzebe’s talent, which makes it even harder to sit and watch him risk going the same way.
Tuanzebe captained United earlier this season, which shows how highly the club rate him.
But if he cannot stay fit, and Bailly himself has another setback, then United could have to dip into the transfer market. Mengi could prevent this, if he gets a chance and seizes it.
We all hope Tuanzebe’s injury is just a minor one, and he will still be able to play a part between now and the end of the season.
- Manchester United U18s return to action with dramatic 4-3 win against Blackburn
- Liverpool tie looks like Odion Ighalo’s last chance to play for Manchester United
- Pellistri and Diallo have versatility to both ultimately start together for United
- Donny van de Beek can prove he is ready for Manchester United superstardom this weekend
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success