Axel Tuanzebe’s injury is a big disappointment for the young centre-back, who was finally hoping to make his first start of 2020 over the coming weeks.
That could still be possible. We don’t know the severity of the injury blow, and he could be back next week.
But Tuanzebe’s previous injuries have seen him miss weeks, and months, with his last Premier League start coming back in October.
United’s big squad means that for every disappointment, there is an opportunity for another player, and the winner in this regard is Teden Mengi.
Mengi, 18, has been training with the first team over the past fortnight and has shot up the ranks quickly after making his under-23 debut earlier this season.
United’s under-18s captain is a bright talent and Tuanzebe’s injury enhances the prospects of him making his debut later this season.
A busy fixture list means United play four games in the next 12 days, and this will test the squad. Already Tuanzebe, and Phil Jones, have broken down before a ball has been kicked.
It is likely Mengi will be needed, while youngster Di’Shon Bernard could also be called upon in the case of further injuries.
United fans have confidence in Mengi after watching his academy displays this season. Here is a look at some of the discussion around his newly boosted prospects…
Tuanzebe injury worries
One of the big problems which held Phil Jones back in his United career was injuries.
Eric Bailly has been an even more extreme example of a player with elite talent, who has been reduced to an afterthought at times due to his fitness struggles.
United fans are big believers in Tuanzebe’s talent, which makes it even harder to sit and watch him risk going the same way.
Tuanzebe captained United earlier this season, which shows how highly the club rate him.
But if he cannot stay fit, and Bailly himself has another setback, then United could have to dip into the transfer market. Mengi could prevent this, if he gets a chance and seizes it.
We all hope Tuanzebe’s injury is just a minor one, and he will still be able to play a part between now and the end of the season.
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long
- Manchester United may have played a masterstroke over Chris Smalling
- Martial and Rashford are teammates, not rivals
- Manchester United are on a collision course with Inter Milan