The lockdown was kind to Timothy Fosu-Mensah. He was afforded extra time to recover from his ACL injury, and made a return to Manchester United’s side.
When he was selected against Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park in July amid an injury crisis, it was his first appearances for the Red Devils since 2017.
Fosu-Mensah went on to make a further five appearances before the season ended, two as a starter.
Having just returned to the team, Fosu-Mensah is not resting on his laurels.
The Dutchman is using this time off to work on his fitness, so he can return to United in top shape for pre-season.
Still has a lot to prove
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer appears to like Fosu-Mensah as a squad player, and his versatility makes him a useful player to have around.
At just 22, Fosu-Mensah has a chance to get a lot better and United may see the best of him after a full-season recovered from his ACL injury, rather than just three starts.
Fosu-Mensah still has a lot to prove, and a strong showing in training in pre-season could help him make a good early impression.
Luke Shaw is just recovering from injury, while Brandon Williams has a minor knock which kept him out of the England under-21 squad.
So there may be a chance for Fosu-Mensah to stake an early claim for a role at left-back, if he is required.
While other United players are on their holidays, deservedly we might add, Fosu-Mensah’s work training in the gym could give him an edge.
- United fans hoping Diallo can do a Martial this weekend
- Scholes says United should sign Fofana – but deal would be very unlikely
- Anthony Martial needs to rediscover debut season form in key Manchester United clashes
- Marcus Rashford is outperforming Sadio Mane this season
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp hails Manchester United pair Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes
- Solskjaer claims there’s even more to come from Manchester United
- Solskjaer says Diallo could be in United squad this weekend
- Bruno Fernandes wins record-breaking fourth player of the month award