Stats show up Manchester United's dismal performance
Defensively against Arsenal, Harry Maguire did not have a bad game. It was only a penalty given away by Paul Pogba which led to the goal.
The problems were in midfield, at full-back, and higher up the pitch.
It says a lot about United’s performance that Maguire had more attempts on goal than any other player – and it wasn’t even close.
Maguire had four efforts on goal, with none on target.
One of these was a wild effort from long range late on, while the others were from set pieces.
But this is not about Maguire’s wayward shooting. This is about the poor efforts of his United teammates.
Marcus Rashford had one attempt on goal, Nemanja Matic one, Bruno Fernandes one, and Mason Greenwood one. That was it.
Greenwood and Matic were the only players to get shots on target.
Maguire was the only player to even attempt more than one shot at goal.
Nobody took control
United’s team is packed with talent and this was a case of the players under-performing.
To manage just two shots on target against any team is poor, and it is not unique to this game.
In four home matches in the Premier League this season United have scored just two goals.
Only one goal has come from open play at Old Trafford, and this was from Donny van de Beek against Crystal Palace.
Something isn’t clicking, and while you can point to the 5-0 win over RB Leipzig in midweek in the Champions League, this is more of an anomaly.
Nobody in the team took control, seized initiative and really brought the game to Arsenal.
This is a big problem, with teams appearing to work out how to stop United by sitting deep and pressing high up front.
United struggled to break teams down last season, and amid a discouraging start to this campaign, it appears the same problems still persist.
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session
- Thomas Frank gives his verdict on Brentford fans booing Manchester United's Christian Eriksen
- 4 chances created from 18 touches: £35m Manchester United target continues to dazzle
- Manchester United 'really confident' of sealing fourth summer signing, says Romano
- Ten Hag says Manchester United's players did not do what he asked against Brentford
- 'I cost three points'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for 4-0 loss
- Rio Ferdinand reacts to Manchester United's 4-0 defeat to Brentford
- 6 things we learned as Manchester United lose 4-0 to Brentford