Defensively against Arsenal, Harry Maguire did not have a bad game. It was only a penalty given away by Paul Pogba which led to the goal.
The problems were in midfield, at full-back, and higher up the pitch.
It says a lot about United’s performance that Maguire had more attempts on goal than any other player – and it wasn’t even close.
Maguire had four efforts on goal, with none on target.
One of these was a wild effort from long range late on, while the others were from set pieces.
But this is not about Maguire’s wayward shooting. This is about the poor efforts of his United teammates.
Marcus Rashford had one attempt on goal, Nemanja Matic one, Bruno Fernandes one, and Mason Greenwood one. That was it.
Greenwood and Matic were the only players to get shots on target.
Maguire was the only player to even attempt more than one shot at goal.
Nobody took control
United’s team is packed with talent and this was a case of the players under-performing.
To manage just two shots on target against any team is poor, and it is not unique to this game.
In four home matches in the Premier League this season United have scored just two goals.
Only one goal has come from open play at Old Trafford, and this was from Donny van de Beek against Crystal Palace.
Something isn’t clicking, and while you can point to the 5-0 win over RB Leipzig in midweek in the Champions League, this is more of an anomaly.
Nobody in the team took control, seized initiative and really brought the game to Arsenal.
This is a big problem, with teams appearing to work out how to stop United by sitting deep and pressing high up front.
United struggled to break teams down last season, and amid a discouraging start to this campaign, it appears the same problems still persist.
- Some Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial's performance
- Paul Pogba reacts to Manchester United's 1-0 win over West Ham
- Photo: Anthony Martial pictured embracing Ralf Rangnick after Manchester United beat West Ham
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's display v West Ham
- 'This is Manchester United'…Defender with 4 tackles and 2 key passes celebrates vital win
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after dramatic 1-0 win
- Gary Neville and Marcus Rashford react to Manchester United's late winner vs West Ham
- Rio Ferdinand's instant reaction as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0
- 6 things we learned as Manchester United beat West Ham 1-0