Harry Maguire has been an ever present for Manchester United in the Premier League ever since he joined.
While his durability is among Maguire’s top assets, his actual performances have been top-tier too.
We took a look at data from FBRef.com to examine how Maguire compares to other central defenders.
One of the very best
These figures compare Maguire with all other central defenders in Europe’s top five leagues.
- Touches in opposition penalty area: Maguire ranks in the top two per cent of centre-backs.
- Aerial duels won: Maguire is in the top three per cent.
- Carries into the final third: Maguire is in the top four per cent.
- Passes into the final third: Maguire is in the top six per cent.
- Passes under pressure: Maguire ranks inside the top nine per cent.
Thes figures demonstrate how good Maguire is on the ball, and the benefit of having a ball playing centre-back.
Maguire likes to bring the ball out of defence and try to help United break teams down, and while he rarely plays the decisive final ball to create chances, he helps to get the ball to those who can.
Strong in other areas too
Further figures show Maguire ranking highly in other aspects of his game.
- Interceptions: Maguire ranks in the top 17 per cent of centre-backs.
- Passes of 40 yards or more: Maguire ranks inside the top 15 per cent.
- Touches inside his own penalty area: Maguire is in the top 14 per cent.
- Total passes completed: Maguire ranks inside the top 20 per cent.
- Dribbled past: Maguire ranks in the top 25 per cent of centre-backs tackling players who attempt to dribble past them.
When you factor in Maguire’s consistency in terms of playing time with all of this, then it becomes clear what a good defender United have.
These figures compare Maguire with more than 100 other centre-backs, and he comes out ranking highly against his peers.
United’s defensive record has been largely good this season taking out the poor start over the opening three games.
There is always room for improvement, but United will be thrilled with the club captain’s contribution.
He has already played 105 games for the club, recently overtaking Henning Berg in the appearances rankings (103).
Winning a trophy this season would cap a strong two years at United for the club captain.
- Arnau Puigmal announces Manchester United departure
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille