SOS... Manchester United calling Alexis Sanchez
Alexis Sanchez? Remember him? Manchester United’s best paid player might be needed after all.
Sanchez has been absent from all six of United’s pre-season games, due to an injury suffered at the Copa America, where he scored two goals.
He was pictured at Carrington last week and looks set to rejoin the squad.
While this weekend’s Premier League opener will be too soon, Sanchez will likely have a part to play.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has continued to back Sanchez this summer, insisting he is part of the club’s plans.
He told BBC Sport last month: “We have to find a way – me with Alexis, with the team – because there’s a top player there.
“If we get him firing, he can get us 20 goals easily. You saw it in the Copa America. The consistency hasn’t been there because he’s had some injuries, you just hope that he’s going to get the consistency back into his game.”
20 goals from Sanchez would be frankly amazing considering he has netted only three Premier League goals since he signed in January 2018.
Sanchez needs to stay injury free and look within himself to capture the form which saw him net 30 goals for Arsenal in 2016/17.
Romelu Lukaku’s departure leaves United needing to replace his goals.
More is expected from Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, and Mason Greenwood, but Sanchez has to do his part too.
The fact he remains at United is a by product of no club feeling he is worth buying.
Sanchez, 30, needs to save his own career and possibly United’s season too.
We might need him after all. ‘Just like a new signing’.
- £30m Ghana sensation credits Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag and explains Red Devils snub
- 3 Juventus players Manchester United could target – including 20-year-old sensation
- 'Weak point'… Neville slams World Cup star, says Manchester United ace would do better job
- 'He's not a leader'… Manchester United star under-fire from pundit in his own country
- Casemiro responds to Neymar's claim he is the best midfielder in the world