Solskjaer says McTominay suffered injury in 6-2 win
Scott McTominay led Manchester United’s 6-2 demolition of Leeds at Old Trafford.
The midfielder netted twice in the opening four minutes to set United on the way to an entertaining win.
For McTominay, it may have come at a small cost.
The Scotland international played all 90 minutes, but picked up an injury during the victory.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told the club website McTominay has a groin injury and it will need to be assessed.
Solskjaer said: “Scott, it seemed like a groin issue. I don’t know. Hopefully, it won’t be too long as he’s not had any muscle injuries before.
“But I don’t know how quickly he will recover.”
It is fair to assume McTominay will be rested for the midweek Carabao Cup quarter-final against Everton.
He started the 3-1 win over Everton in the league and this could upset Solskjaer’s planned rotation, especially after he sat out the Sheffield United win on Thursday, only coming on in injury time.
However, there is little point risking him if he is not at 100 per cent.
Tests may come back and say he is ready to play, but it would be smart for United to be cautious, with matches against Leicester City and Wolves still to come in the league before the end of 2020.
Luke Shaw borderline for midweek
Luke Shaw may also sit out against Everton, in a match where there was always going to be a fair amount of rotation.
Solskjaer told the club website after the game, “Luke has been ill for a few days and was only passed fit this morning. He didn’t train yesterday.”
Shaw was substituted after 59 minutes having done his job, and replaced with Alex Telles.
Telles did well when he came on, creating two chances and having a shot at goal saved. He will be more likely to start in midweek with Shaw not at 100 per cent.
- Anthony Martial gives three-word verdict on training under Erik ten Hag
- Romano says 'priority' Manchester United target has told club he wants to leave
- 'This can't be'… Gary Neville gives verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to leave Manchester United
- Photos: Bruno Fernandes and Facundo Pellistri enjoy first Manchester United training session
- UEFA Conference League side hoping to re-sign Manchester United midfielder
- Manchester United midfielder given extra time off before returning for pre-season
- 'Back to business': £34m Manchester United star raring to go upon his return to Carrington
- Released Manchester United academy star joins League One side
- Chelsea considering move to sign Manchester United's talisman who is willing to slash wages to get move