Mason Greenwood seized the headlines with a stunning brace as Manchester United swept a plucky Bournemouth team aside on Saturday.
Normally the day would have belonged to Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford, who both reached 20 league goals after netting in the 5-2 win.
In doing so they became the first Manchester United pairing since Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez in 2010/11 to score 20.
Martial’s goal was particularly impressive, curling the ball into the top corner from outside the penalty area.
Speaking after the game, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said he expects both Rashford and Martial to play with a little more freedom now.
He told the club website: “He’s (Martial) just got to 20. Marcus got to 20, so the two of them can settle down a little bit with that and don’t have to chase that next goal, because that is a milestone for everyone.”
Neither Martial or Rashford publicly set a goal target for the season. Privately, 20 goals would have been a milestone they were aiming for as a barometer of success.
Both are capable of far higher, having each missed two months of the season in separate injury spells.
With added firepower and competition from Mason Greenwood now, and Odion Ighalo waiting on the sidelines, Martial and Rashford know they need to perform.
Martial has raced to 20 goals since the restart, having entered the post-lockdown period on 16.
Rashford has been stuck on 19 and getting this goal against Bournemouth will be a weight lifted from his shoulders.
We certainly have not seen Rashford at his best since football resumed, not like the player who dragged United to important victories against Tottenham and Manchester City in December with magnificent individual performances.
So if he can get back to form approaching this, United will be an even scarier team for opponents to face.
Physically, Martial and Rashford may both get a rest over one of the next two Premier League games.
Mentally they will be refreshed and ready to kick on. As Solskjaer says, they could really step it up now, as a frantic race to hit the 30 goal mark begins.
- What United would gain and lose by pursuing Coman as Sancho alternative
- Manchester United bound Hansen-Aaroen provides first senior assist
- United academy talent Charlie Wellens could have unique under-23 opportunity
- United youngster D’Mani Mellor says he has torn ACL
- A night made for Dan James sees him left on the bench
- Expensive midfield combination of Fred and Paul Pogba needs work
- Five reasons to be hopeful Jadon Sancho will sign for Manchester United
- Guillermo Varela reacts to defeat to Manchester United
- Manchester United fans react to Harry Maguire’s performance