Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has said teenager Ethan Laird is set to join up with Manchester United’s first team squad.
He told the club website: “Ethan is going to join the training group now.”
This is really positive news for a young player who has been on the fringes of the first team in 2020.
Laird made his debut for United in the Europa League in the first half of the season, playing as a starter against Astana away, and then at Old Trafford as a substitute against AZ Alkmaar.
As a right-back, Laird is a bright talent who is very strong going forward.
He adds competition to a position group which includes Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Diogo Dalot and Timothy Fosu-Mensah, while Brandon Williams came on at right-back against Norwich and started in the position against LASK.
But United have high hopes for Laird and this is his opportunity to show what he can do.
The 18-year-old will join under-23 teammates Teden Mengi, James Garner and Tahith Chong, who have been training with the first team in recent weeks.
None of them have yet made a 20-man matchday squad, but as rotation becomes more necessary over the next few weeks, opportunities could open up.
United have just said goodbye to Angel Gomes after his contract expired. He had been training with the first team, and Laird will take his squad place.
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Marcus Rashford ahead of quarter-final
- What next for Dean Henderson at Manchester United as Blades eye alternatives?
- Smart loan move could see Manchester United’s Tahith Chong blossom in two positions
- Three United players who would be impacted by Sancho’s potential arrival
- 10 years after failed Manchester United move, Adem Ljajic is linked with another Premier League club
- Dan James could be a Manchester United fringe player next season and that is no bad thing
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v FC Copenhagen
- Who is reported Manchester United target Alex Meret?
- Reaction to report Tahith Chong loan could be two-years long