Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has offered an update on David de Gea ahead of Sunday’s Manchester derby.
Solskjaer held his press conference today, which was streamed at 12.30pm on United’s official app.
He said that de Gea will miss the clash with Pep Guardiola’s side but he will be available for selection soon.
The Manchester Evening News reported earlier this week that Dean Henderson was in line to start the next six games.
But Solskjaer does not expect that to be the case and said: “As soon as David travels back we have to follow the rules, so I expect him to be ready very soon.
“The press have been making up stories. That’s not fair on David and not fair on our fans.
“We allowed him to go back and we want him back as soon as possible – but he is a human being. I don’t know when he is back, but it won’t be long.
“Dean did well against Palace, he is looking forward to the City game as well. He experienced it in the Carabao Cup as well.”
It does not appear that Solskjaer expects de Gea to need to undergo an extended quarantine period upon his return.
He has declined the chance to say that Henderson would be given a run of games in the side.
But the Englishman does have a big chance to impress in what will be his second Manchester derby.
He played in the EFL Cup semi-final clash with City at Old Trafford in January, which ended in a 2-0 defeat.
- Ed Woodward to quit Manchester United – report
- Luke Shaw delivers passionate message against Super League
- Hung out to dry: Manchester United players deserve our full support
- Jack Kingdon sends message after making Manchester United under-18s debut
- United fans praise Guardiola comments about Super League
- Marcus Rashford expresses discontent towards United’s Super League plans
- Manchester United Supporter’s Trust issue statement after meeting with Prime Minister
- Four benefits of United finally having a full week without a game
- Manchester United a rebel with a self-serving cause as FIFA join fight against Super League
- Manchester United’s biggest wins of all-time