Solskjaer gives verdict on Sancho and Van de Beek cameo
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has praised the contribution from Jadon Sancho and Donny van de Beek against Atalanta.
The pair came on in the 86th minute and had eight touches combined, and yet, it was enough to drive United on for an equaliser.
Solskjaer acknowledged the impact of the pair in his post-game comments.
Ole on Sancho
Solskjaer told the club website: “Jadon was sharp. We wanted a little bit more width on the side, because we put Edinson on.
“Bruno played well and you want him out there, but I felt we needed a little bit more width to get the crosses in for Edinson or Cristiano.”
Ole on Van de Beek
“Donny provided the run for the last goal and he keeps working.
“He’s got qualities in there to unlock close defences and he almost scored as well. I thought all of those who came on did well.”
Encouragement for duo
This game was Jadon Sancho’s first appearance since the previous win over Atalanta a fortnight ago.
Van de Beek had not played at all since the Carabao Cup loss to West Ham.
Solskjaer’s lack of use for Van de Beek has been particularly egregious as it feels like the Dutchman has not had a fair crack.
With results inconsistent, Solskjaer could do a lot worse than giving him a run in the side especially with Paul Pogba suspended.
Solskjaer made a step forward by bringing on Van de Beek in this key scenario and trusting him. He needs to do it more.
Both players will now feel as though they are in with a shout of facing City this coming weekend.
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United
- Photo: 17-year-old FA Youth Cup winner signs first Manchester United contract