Solskjaer gives verdict on Sancho and Van de Beek cameo
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has praised the contribution from Jadon Sancho and Donny van de Beek against Atalanta.
The pair came on in the 86th minute and had eight touches combined, and yet, it was enough to drive United on for an equaliser.
Solskjaer acknowledged the impact of the pair in his post-game comments.
Ole on Sancho
Solskjaer told the club website: “Jadon was sharp. We wanted a little bit more width on the side, because we put Edinson on.
“Bruno played well and you want him out there, but I felt we needed a little bit more width to get the crosses in for Edinson or Cristiano.”
Ole on Van de Beek
“Donny provided the run for the last goal and he keeps working.
“He’s got qualities in there to unlock close defences and he almost scored as well. I thought all of those who came on did well.”
Encouragement for duo
This game was Jadon Sancho’s first appearance since the previous win over Atalanta a fortnight ago.
Van de Beek had not played at all since the Carabao Cup loss to West Ham.
Solskjaer’s lack of use for Van de Beek has been particularly egregious as it feels like the Dutchman has not had a fair crack.
With results inconsistent, Solskjaer could do a lot worse than giving him a run in the side especially with Paul Pogba suspended.
Solskjaer made a step forward by bringing on Van de Beek in this key scenario and trusting him. He needs to do it more.
Both players will now feel as though they are in with a shout of facing City this coming weekend.
- £30m Ghana sensation credits Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag and explains Red Devils snub
- 3 Juventus players Manchester United could target – including 20-year-old sensation
- 'Weak point'… Neville slams World Cup star, says Manchester United ace would do better job
- 'He's not a leader'… Manchester United star under-fire from pundit in his own country
- Casemiro responds to Neymar's claim he is the best midfielder in the world
- 20-year-old powerhouse recommended to Manchester United by Rangnick dominates v £97m opponent
- Manchester United star vows 'important game', potential first World Cup start incoming
- 'Bit awkward there': Gary Neville urges international boss to play Manchester United star in favoured position
- 'Absurd'… National team's physio praises Manchester United star's 'great work rate'
- Bryan Robson warns rest of Premier League that 'terrific' Manchester United star is only going to get better
- Report: Manchester United could sign £113m star for just £86m including add-ons