Paul Pogba’s injury against Everton in early February has put the French midfielder on the sidelines since.
A report from The Athletic claimed Pogba would miss both Europa League games plus the matches against Chelsea and Manchester City.
Well, the Europa League prediction has come to fruition, but there might be an outside chance he returns for the City game at least, if not the Chelsea one.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gave a fairly positive update on the World Cup winner in his press conference today.
The United boss was quoted by the club website: “Paul has been outside on the grass and is starting to step up his recovery but he’s not near the team for this game.”
A ray of hope
For Pogba to be back on the training pitch at this point is a big plus and it’s very possible he will be in contention for the trip to The Etihad.
There are two league games beforehand, against Chelsea, and then at Crystal Palace next week, amid a stretch of three consecutive Premier League away matches.
Pogba knows what it is like to earn a big win away at City, famously scoring twice in 2018 in a 3-2 comeback win which is regarded as one of his best ever performances for United.
Getting him back in the squad for this fixture will be a boost for the team from a psychological perspective. It is a must-win game in United’s fading dream of winning the title, with a 10 point gap currently existing between the two clubs.
An away win might be enough to create some doubts at City and disrupt their momentum. Having Pogba back in the line-up gives us the best chance of doing so.
Solskjaer’s update suggests there is at least a chance, and amid previous news there was little hope of Pogba being available for this City game, this counts as a positive update.
- Two Manchester United academy players criticise Super League plans
- David Beckham speaks out against Super League plans
- Gary Neville says the Glazers must be booted out of football
- What Manchester United will look like in 2025 playing in the Super League
- Zidane Iqbal scores on comeback for Manchester United’s under-18s
- United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to help Alaves to first win since he joined
- Manchester United fans display angry banner outside Old Trafford after Super League announcement
- England cricketer Sam Billings takes aim at the Glazers and Woodward over Super League
- Bruno Fernandes expresses discontent towards Super League plans
- Manchester United fans react as Tottenham sack Jose Mourinho