Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted there is uncertainty as to whether he will risk Victor Lindelof against Aston Villa on Thursday night.
Lindelof was substituted at half-time against Bournemouth and replaced by Eric Bailly.
Now Solskjaer has spoken to the club’s official website about Lindelof’s status.
Solskjaer explained, when asked if there was clear news on the Swede: “Not yet, no. It’s not too bad. He’ll play soon. I’m not sure if he’ll manage the Villa game, but he might do.”
It certainly does not sound too bad, and Lindelof should be ready to face Southampton on Monday night.
And he could be ready to face Villa, but it just does not seem worth risking when Eric Bailly is available, and keen to make his first start since lockdown.
Play the long game
United have to be sensible here, considering Axel Tuanzebe has already been ruled out for the season along with Phil Jones.
United’s official website lists Timothy Fosu-Mensah as an emergency centre-back option, along with Luke Shaw, who would likely be ahead of him.
Fosu-Mensah has not played a first team game since his ACL injury on loan at Fulham in January 2019.
It appears Lindelof is making a good recovery, and this might just be a one-game absence if that. He will probably make the bench.
But if United get it wrong, and play him and he suffers a setback, the coaching staff will only have themselves to blame.
With an FA Cup semi-final now under a fortnight away, United need to play the long game and be sensible about not risking Lindelof.
- Luke Shaw is the strongest player in the England squad, says Three Lions teammate
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position