Ole Gunnar Solskjaer had harsh words for Tottenham winger Erik Lamela after his role in Anthony Martial’s sending off.
Martial naively reacted to provocation from Lamela and gently slapped him.
Lamela threw himself to the ground and Martial was sent off.
Solskjaer was seen remonstrating with the referee at full time.
The United boss told the club website: “He must be having an operation in his throat, the boy. It’s a bad reaction by Anthony [though].
“No excuse because the game’s not lost there and then but we were in the game by then.
“If that [Lamela] was one of my players, I would absolutely hang him up to dry because you don’t go down like that. If Ant had gone down, it could have been going the other way. But he shouldn’t react like that.”
Martial should have known better to react, and the sending off was harsh, but United were also let down by the failure to hand a red to Lamela too.
The Argentine put an elbow into Martial’s face beforehand, and this went ignored by the referee.
Former United defender Rio Ferdinand questioned why VAR was not used to review the incident.
The red card was farcical in every aspect. Solskjaer was right to call it out, as was Ferdinand.
However, there were bigger problems for Solskjaer and United, clearly.
United were 2-1 down at the time of the sending off, and went on to close 6-1.
The team managed just one shot on target from open play all game.
Martial for instance has not had a shot on target all season, and now faces a suspension.
That is not all on him, it reflects a team which struggles to create chances.
Defensively United were an abject, disorganised mess.
Solskjaer has a lot to sort out. But results like this bring into question whether he is the one capable of doing it.
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22