Sir Alex Ferguson is flying out with Manchester United for the Europa League final.
The club published photos of Sir Alex boarding the plane to Poland.
Sir Alex Ferguson led United to two Champions League victories and one European Cup Winner’s Cup success.
He also managed to win the European Cup Winner’s Cup with Aberdeen in 1983.
His experience will lift the current players and management team, and hge will be able to provide valuable counsel and advice.
United announced the 26-man squad for the final earlier tonight.
Ferguson’s former assistant boss Mike Phelan is on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s coaching staff, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer played under him and won the treble with him in 1999.
Solskjaer’s goal in ’99 against Bayern Munich took place on May 26th, the same date as this year’s final.
Fergie’s presence is another positive omen for United ahead of Wednesdays fixture against Villarreal.
The night is likely to be a very nervous one for all involved. Ferguson’s presence may help alleviate some of that pressure.
It is great that at the age of 79 he is in good enough health to make the trip, and is so enamoured still with this United side. On a potentially special night for the club, he still wants to be a big part of it.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move