Manchester United had to fight hard to reach the Europa League semi-finals.
Anthony Martial won the penalty which led to Bruno Fernandes scoring the winner against FC Copenhagen.
Former United star Robin van Persie enjoyed watching Martial in action, and lauded his display.
Speaking to BT Sport, Van Persie said: “When he switches it on he is too fast, too silky, and wow, what a player.”
Van Persie’s view was echoed by former teammate Paul Scholes, who added: “As Robin says, Martial at times was devastating, unplayable.”
Martial did not score, but sometimes he does not need to score to influence a game. This was one of those nights.
As the match went on he got better and better, taking advantage of gaps in the FC Copenhagen defence.
Martial had four shots while United had 26 in total compared to Copenhagen’s nine.
Only an inspired performance from Johnsson in goal kept the score down.
Martial and co have a lot to do in the semi-finals when United take on either Sevilla or Wolves.
On the basis of this performance, United can trust Martial to lead the line and expect him to add to his tally.
- Bjorn Hardley praised for under-18 performance by Neil Ryan
- Five reasons Manchester United can win the Premier League title this season
- Cavani has already tied level with Alexis Sanchez’s United league goal tally
- Bruno Fernandes wasn’t perfect vs Southampton but still had a huge impact
- Bruno Fernandes praises Edinson Cavani
- Robbie Savage praises son Charlie after his first United under-18s goal
- James Garner impresses on loan again in Watford win
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer offers injury update on Manchester United’s left backs
- Alex Telles shows his quality with another strong all round performance