Manchester United hero Rio Ferdinand has called on the club to complete a deal to sign Jadon Sancho.
United’s chances of landing the England international are unclear, with less than three weeks left before the transfer deadline closes.
Borussia Dortmund are standing firm over their demands for a £108 million transfer fee, BBC Sport report, while publicly they are insistent the player is staying.
Former Champions League and Premier League winner Rio Ferdinand wants United to get the deal done.
Speaking on his Five YouTube channel, Ferdinand said: “The kid’s got mad talent. I need him at Man United. Please, I’m begging.”
Ferdinand added: “Fingers crossed. I need it this summer.”
Time is running out
United are leaving this deal dangerously late to pull off. It may also be too late, with Dortmund imposing their own deadline, which passed last month.
The longer United leave it, the less time the German side have to sign a replacement.
When the transfer window opened at the end of July, most fans were hopeful and confident that a deal would get done.
This confidence has now evaporated, and Ferdinand’s comments are more reflective of the mood: desperation.
United have not signed another player in the position. This provides hope that the club still feel a deal is possible, but there is a big risk we will be left without a new winger, the longer this drags on.
The MEN reported in 2019 how Ferdinand spoke with chief executive Ed Woodward about a director of football role.
While Rio would have been a controversial choice for the so far unfilled position, United could do with somebody with his passion in the boardroom right now, urging the club to get the deal done from the inside.
- Potential loan move for Ismaila Sarr would be clever move for United
- Alex Telles would be ideal signing for United to shift to diamond formation
- Four players who would turn Manchester United into a force
- Rhys Bennett can be another defensive name to watch at Manchester United
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Luton Town
- Joe Hugill gets off to perfect start with brace for United’s under-18s side
- Report: Manchester United resigned to keeping injured Phil Jones
- Report: Alex Telles hoping to seal Manchester United move
- Key points from Evra’s Instagram video about the state of affairs at Manchester United