Report: Manchester United resigned to keeping injured Phil Jones
Manchester United are resigned to keeping Phil Jones, reports the MEN.
The paper report Jones is still injured and United do feel it is realistic the club will be able to sell him before the October 5 transfer deadline.
The ongoing issues sum up Jones’ career. His time at United has been largely ruined by injuries.
Solskjaer told his pre-match presser on Friday: “Phil Jones is still out.”
Jones got injured prior to the restart in June and has been on the sidelines since.
United have to be regretting handing Jones a new contract at the start of 2019.
This contract runs until 2022, with an option for an extra year, which probably will not be taken up.
It means though that United are stuck with Jones, who has fallen behind Teden Mengi in the pecking order at Old Trafford.
He would have had hopes of following Chris Smalling’s path, going out on a loan move.
His recent injury history makes him a risky purchase for clubs, but on loan, Jones still could have been of use for a few teams.
One option could be for United to send him to a Championship club if he is fit enough by the loan deadline in October 16.
This may be unlikely however. The Mirror reported in August that Jones’ knee injury could require an operation.
United were looking to postpone this op, in the hope he could be sold. This was hardly the type of news which would attract potential buyers.
So far this summer the club have sold just one player, Alexis Sanchez, but no fee was raised, with United simply glad to get his wages off the books.
When it comes to Jones’ wages, for now, United are stuck paying them.
- Erik ten Hag reportedly contacts prolific 21 goal star over Manchester United move
- 'Negotiations are open': Manchester United in talks to sign £21m Spanish striker, 40 goals in two years
- Former Champions League and Premier League winner blasts Manchester United's lack of fight
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session
- Thomas Frank gives his verdict on Brentford fans booing Manchester United's Christian Eriksen
- 4 chances created from 18 touches: £35m Manchester United target continues to dazzle
- Manchester United 'really confident' of sealing fourth summer signing, says Romano