Arnau Puigmal has confirmed he has signed a deal with Almeria.
Puigmal was released by Manchester United on June 30.
Puigmal had enjoyed a blistering start to the season for United’s under-23s and scored seven goals in 12 games from midfield.
But it became apparent his expiring contract was unlikely to be re-signed, amid a combination of his own desire to return to Spain and United not giving him first team chances.
Puigmal’s announcement was celebrated by new Almeria teammate Largie Ramazani, who quit Manchester United to join the Spanish club last season.
Almeria finished fourth in Spain’s second tier last season and missed out on promotion in the play-offs.
Puigmal will be hoping that if his move goes well, he will earn promotion and a place in La Liga from 2022.
The move seems great for him. Almeria confirmed on their website Puigmal is under contract until 2026.
That’s a really long term deal for a 20-year-old player to sign and gives he youngster real security, while Almeria can get a good resale on him if he plays well.
Puigmal, 20, signed for United from Espanyol as a teenager.
United’s youngsters being snapped up
Puigmal becomes the fifth player over 18 released by the club to sign a new deal.
Mark Helm signed with Burnley and Iestyn Hughes with Leicester. Jacob Carney joined Sunderland and Joel Pereira with RKC Waalwijk.
Puigmal’s move to Almeria was not a surprise, with The Mail reporting they were frontrunners back in May. It seems like a good deal for him, but the hard work is just beginning.
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance
- Jadon Sancho grows in confidence without a cutting edge in United defeat