Reaction to United's £90m Jadon Sancho take it or leave it plan
Manchester United have not given up on signing Jadon Sancho. It has been claimed that an offer could be close.
This is short of Borussia Dortmund’s reported valuation of £108 million.
The reports claim United will offer £75 million up front plus a further £15 million in add ons.
Does this have a chance of happening?
Dortmund have been consistent over their stance Sancho will stay, publicly at least.
Initial instinct to seeing this report leads to the conclusion that it will be unsuccessful, due to it being below Dortmund’s asking price.
However, money talks, and their finances may determine that a bid of £90 million is still too good to turn down.
Sancho has not publicly given any assurances he wants to stay, leaving the door ajar for United to make a move.
It is at this point United may hope Sancho agitates for a transfer, and forces Dortmund’s hand.
Even if the move is unsuccessful, this can be a PR-driven effort from United to say they tried, and made a club record offer, which may not be deemed unreasonable amid a pandemic.
£90 million always seemed like the smart figure
£90 million always seemed like the perfect figure. In Euros, this equated to a seven figure sum for Dortmund.
For United, it’s under £100 million, so is seen as a success from Dortmund’s original demand, while Sancho gets the prestige of being a club record signing.
However, this is below what Dortmund have consistently asked for, even if it is a considerable profit for them.
They will have to choose between going back on their valuation and public stance that Sancho is staying, or taking a prudent view to cash in on a player who may actually want to leave.
Jadon Sancho: Why Manchester United want him
- Sancho had a prolific 2019/20 season
Sancho ended the season with 20 goals and 18 assists, finishing as Dortmund’s top goalscorer.
- Creative star setting assist records
Sancho provided 16 Bundesliga assists this season. This was the most recorded by a Dortmund player since 2004/05.
- Sancho became the youngest ever player in the Bundesliga to score 15 goals
He set this record in his first season, breaking a record which had stood since 1967.
- Sancho has 34 first team goals for Dortmund
This is more goals at the age of 20 than either Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi had scored in their careers.
- Gets better as games go on
14 of Sancho’s 17 Bundesliga goals this season were scored in the second half of matches as he wore opponents down, along with 12 of his assists.
- Casemiro flight to Manchester, twist in £80m star's future, awful Glazer plan
- Luka Modric reacts as Casemiro move to Manchester United confirmed
- Real Madrid confirm Casemiro sale to Manchester United in emotional statement, and announce tribute plan
- Raphael Varane reacts as Manchester United announce Casemiro deal
- 3 reasons £59.7m Manchester United target is better signing than Frenkie de Jong
- 36-year-old coach sits top of league table having left Manchester United last season
- XI players linked with Manchester United moves this week; featuring left-footed Premier League ace
- 'Really good player': Klopp praises star with no PL starts for Manchester United since May 2021
- 'Here we go': Manchester United have full agreement on Casemiro, says Romano