A loan move for Tahith Chong is progressing along. The Dutchman is wanted by German side Werder Bremen.
There would be no option to buy, and Chong would return to United in 2022.
From a football perspective, this is a great opportunity for Chong. Serge Gnabry flourished at Werder Bremen after leaving Arsenal.
The key factor here is that United will retain his rights. The new contract Chong signed in March runs until 2022, but United have an option to automatically extend this until 2023.
There may need to be some adjustment here before a loan is approved. United may want the future of Chong secured for even longer.
Even with the extension, Chong could return as a superstar in 2022 with just 12 months left on his deal. United would be left in a weak position.
The business aspect of contract length and transfer values aside, this is a very interesting opportunity for Chong.
He is a bright player who has begun to show confidence at first team level in 2020, after failing to take his chances in 2019. He has two first team assists to his name.
Consistently impressive under-23 performances have highlighted his ability. He has 16 goals and eight assists in 35 career appearances at that level.
A two-year loan offers extra time and breathing space for the Dutchman, so he does not feel under pressure.
He can develop, find his best position, and worry simply about the task at Werder, rather than his United future.
You would imagine too, that there is a one-year break clause in the deal for United, in case it is not going too well, or our need for him becomes more immediate.
There is every chance he returns a superstar, and comes back to Old Trafford to fulfil his potential. Two years was all Jadon Sancho needed to shine in Germany.
- It’s time for Jesse Lingard to move on, but £30m seems too good to be true
- Luke Shaw calls for Manchester United to sign more players
- Solskjaer praises Donny van de Beek as midfielder sends message to fans
- Manchester United’s season feels over before it has really begun
- Six things learned as Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace
- Confirmed Manchester United line up v Crystal Palace
- Teden Mengi could have early season chance to impress for Manchester United
- How Donny van de Beek can use Manchester United fan frustration as motivation
- Four reasons for Manchester United to be optimistic